Mackie

Review: Portable Amp 2 Version 2

USD$53 is cheeeeeap~. Go get em' all! I think this thread should be more "highlighted" so others interested in better sound can go for it. party.gif

Be fast though..tink the offer ends at the end of April.

I have just put in an order for the Go-vibe instead. Choose it over the PA2 cause of the op amp rolling option. But the PA2 is a fine amp never the less.

I have just put in an order for the Go-vibe instead. Choose it over the PA2 cause of the op amp rolling option. But the PA2 is a fine amp never the less.

Hi RonTheMan,

May I know what is the "op amp rolling option" issue that you mentioned on PA2? thanx

You can roll or simply put, swap/change, op amps (operational amplifiers) for the Go-vibe but not for the PA2. This gives the user a certain freedom to customise the sound of the amp according to his/her preferences as different op amps gives different sonic qualities.

Absolute0 is right. Yeah mine come preconfiged with the AD8066. I also bought a AD8620 op amp as well. Got some other op amps from TI and Analog Devices to try out.

Those who own PA2V2 may wanna partner it with the humble Beyer DT231/231Pro, expecially for those on the move and value isolation from ambient noise and receptive to supraural cans. What some may consider a bit over-powering in the bass is nicely balanced with PA2V2. In fact, I like the sound of this combo better than Sony MDR-V6. The latter sounds slightly recessed and tiny in mid-range and bass dept relative to DT231/231pro. Needless to say, I use DT231 more often now although it loses out to the V6 in terms of looks and foldability.

Edited by Mackie

Mackie - i've just order the pa2v2 as well. Other than the Beyer dt231, do you think that the AT FC7 or the Senns hd200 are worthy alternatives?

How would ER-6i + PA2V2 be? Would the amp be 'worth' it?

I've heard that it reduces sibilance and makes to sound warmer. How much sibilance was there to begin with? I mean, they are excellent headphones and according to the reviews a "slight amount of sibilance" has never been talked about. Even if there is a slight amount, will this be noticed by a non-audiphile? Is the upgrade worth it for a non-audiophile? Just a few questions innocent.gif

well, from my point of view, it doesn't reduce sibilance at all. Sibilance is part of the Etys and will always be there. It can become warmer or anything else, but usually the sibilance is always there. You just have to be picky with what kind of music you listen to. For a start, I never go Joss Stone with Etys. My ears hurt. biggrin.gif

The etys (ER-4's to be exact in my case) can be really sibilant in the wrong setup, since they are inherently bright to a certain extent. I won't describe the sibilance as "slight" - it can be as discernible as the bass notes because the emphasis on the "sss" sound is unmistakeable and painful to the ears as idkfa pointed out, so you don't have to have golden ears to hear it. This is comparing to other cans on a slightly bright setup. I had to swap out the AD8610 for the OPA627 in my amp to cure the "acute" sibilance. And I think this observation is not uncommon, many have reported sibilance on the etys. IIRC there was a recent Head-fi thread which caught my attention as I shared the sentiments expressed with regards to etys being bright.

I'd second idkfa, an amp would help but not all that much. I had the ER-6 and it didn't really benefit much from amping. But it's always good to try it out for yourself, I'm sure some of the forumers here have the PA2V2 which you can audition.

I could audition if i didnt live in Thailand laugh.gif

Anyway, thanks for the response. What type of music should I directly avoid with Ety's?

Edited by Ttvetjanu

I could audition if i didnt live in Thailand laugh.gif

Anyway, thanks for the response. What type of music should I directly avoid with Ety's?

Females with high vocals! laugh.gif Usually the sibilance occurs with females because of their higher pitch as compared to male vocals. Too much cymbals also tend to make me sick! ppth.gif

Oh, that you are soooo wrong. When I first got my Shure E5c, it gave me motion sickness. No joke!! And too much Etys can give me fatigue cos of the highs. TOtally nothing to do with costs. biggrin.gif

mellow.gif So, what you are saying is that some headphones (even good and expensive ones) make you sick? wacko.gifwink.gifdry.gif

I understand what you mean, I guess its just one of those sacrifices we make for some good music.