Mackie

Review: Portable Amp 2 Version 2

Sadly yes. It really doesn't matter if they are expensive or cheap. I can't explain this in exact science. Perhaps someone can provide an accurate description? =]

Some people still can get car sick in a jaguar or bently. laugh.gif Taking buses solves it for me. LOL.

Some people still can get car sick in a jaguar or bently.  Taking buses solves it for me. LOL.

So, you prefer original iPod headphones, and save money instead? rolleyes.gif

Anyway, what sort of music is recommended for the ER-6i's?

Very interesting thread, though I respectfully disagree about the consensus view of the PA2V2. Definitely not worth the money in my opinion, at least not paired with Etymotic ER-6 phones. For my minireview, see here.

Edited by gitzlaff

Hello gitzlaff and welcome to SGHeadphones,

I'm sorry that you did not get a good experience with your set from Gary Ali. I had just read your review on the PA2V2 and I do respect your opinions on them. But one thing that I've picked up from the other experienced audiophiles is that result do differ from people to people. I can't say much for pairing your PA2V2 with a Er-6i, but having owned more than 10 different makes of headphones, I can certainly say that it worked amazingly good on certain headphones while weak on others. For eg, It sounds nothing great on my shure E5c but amazingly great on my Etymotic ER-4s. Great on my Beyer DT250 but not amazing on my Ultrasone HFI-650. Results unfortunately, varies.

In my opinion, perhaps you should try them on other headphones and see if you can hear a greater significance? There is always a reason for the existance of certain products. You just have to find the right problem with your answer. One thing for sure, is that the Ety ER-6i are made to go ampless and they do not make great benchmarks with amps. So it's really unnecessary to pair it with an amp.

I'm sure you'll get some opinions from others and those who'll swear by Gary's amp in head-fi.

Best rgds, happy.gif

Correct, FWIW I am using the PA2V2 with the ER-6 and not the ER-6i. I understand and appreciate the comments that they are not examples of headphones which "need" an external amp, but in view of questions on this board and elsewhere about pairing the ER-6 with an amp and the extent to which (if at all) people hear improvement, I thought the question was worth addressing in my minireview. As I mentioned in the review, there are perhaps other headphones which need an amp like the PA2V2, but IMO it's a waste of money for use with the ER-6 and iPod (and probably for relevantly similar pairings of other hardware).

Anyway, I was motivated to write the review & share my thoughts because my experiences were SO different than what I'd read in my pre-purchase research that I thought someone needed to weigh in against the conventional wisdom. Thx.

Edited by gitzlaff

Very good point, gitzlaff. I'm sure there will be those who find your review useful. In any case, it's best to take into account the gear used by the reviewer before committing to a purchase based on that review as synergy of components often come into play.

Apologies in my mistake in identifying the earphone. happy.gif But have you checked with others who had paired the Er-6 with the PV2V2 yet?

Regarding the loose part and the static in your amp, i wonder if gary's willing to replace or fix them?

To sum it all up, all reviews are very subjective and also affected by each reviewer's taste and preference. Look for clues in the system and ancillaries used and the music chosen for the test and one could decide if the reviewer's choice is close to one's own. In this case, I do agree PA2V2 yields higher sonic return when paired with high impedance cans and relatively lesser with those of low impedance. However, those with discernible ears may still deem the cost and return of PA2V2 feasible when paired with cans of low impedance.

Edited by Mackie

Hmm, for my PA2V2, listening to the knob at around 3:30 to 4:00 was adequate enough through my HD650. It was lous enough and well out of the Imba range of 1 to 2 o clock where by the left or right channel gets amplified more than the other one...