Mackie

Review: Portable Amp 2 Version 2

Well, the pocket amps 2 is not using the opamps. I dropped him a mail to ask abt it and here's the reply:

The opamp in the Pocket Amp 2 - Version 2 model

is not compatible with the pin-outs of the other

popular Burr-Brown OPA series chips though. Most

of these older OPA opamps require higher voltages

to operate, whereas the Pocket Amp 2 is based on

newer technology and needs only 2.4 Volts to run.

Not sure what he is using though. I only just got my pocket amp today. Not that impressive I must say. Perhaps I need more time to take a good listen. Burn in maybe. I'll chk out the components later.

**update**

After a day's listening, I must say this amp is a godsent for the etymotic er-4s. I have paired it with the shure e2, e5, er-6i, grado sr80, beyer 900, Ath-A900, but the most impacting sound came from the er4s.

First thing you'll notice is the bass. Definitely more pronounced and accurate. A bright amp, with soundstaging opening up, it becomes richer and fuller with the slightly improved mid range. (Not better the E5 though) And the details, superb accuracy and resolution when I played it with Utada's automatic. I've never heard Hikaru Utada's voice this rich and clear. But some of the highs are a little amplified and sends the infamous etymotic simbilances up your head. Pretty fatiguing after more than an hour's listen. There's still room for improvements on the mid range but considering what i've got for the money, I'll give it thumbs up. Sends the etys back on the bass quest!

Those who's got the etys, go for this US$60 amp. Good built quality too.

Those interested to take a listen, do join us for the mini-dap-portables meet in march!

Edited by idkfa

idkfa(btw, are u a doom fan),

How is it with the SR80?

Thanks

Augustine

Since I've gotten the portable amp, I've listened to it only a few times and now back in singapore. Don't really have much chance to listen to it on my SR80. Perhaps when I am back in tokyo, I'll do another audition or maybe someone can bring their grado to the mini meet?

Mmmm what AC Adaptors shld we use for this?

Any particular ones?

Please check the maker's site for details. The link is enclosed on the first page. Here's a summary.

DC voltage = 3V

Polarity = Negative tip

Current = 200mA and above

Uses mini plug which is found in most AC/DC adapters

Edited by Mackie

Hi,

I have just purchase the Pocket Amp 2. I inserted 2 AA batteries however i could hear hissing sound ( identicle to the sound when you are tuning the radio) when the volume is at minimum. I use the normal lithium batteries. Do you guys who uses this amp encounter the same problem? Do you think the problem wil be resolve when if i were to use rechargeable batteries ? Please kindly enlighten me. Thanks

unsure.gif

I suggest U email Gary (amp's maker) and he will respond quickly and make an exchange if the amp is indeed faulty. Meantime, try to ipinpoint the problem by trying conventional batteries, different headphones or source.

Please enlighten us on the setup with this amp ie what source, way of connection and cans?

Hi,

I have just purchase the Pocket Amp 2. I inserted 2 AA batteries however i could hear hissing sound ( identicle to the sound when you are tuning the radio) when the volume is at minimum. I use the normal lithium batteries. Do you guys who uses this amp encounter the same problem? Do you think the problem wil be resolve when if i were to use rechargeable batteries ? Please kindly enlighten me. Thanks

unsure.gif

To my understanding, it's not stated on the website that "normal" 1.5volts AA batteries can be used. it's best to use rechargeable 1.2volts batt.

Also check your interconnect cable as mine doesn't have hiss even at max. volume.

Hi,

I have just purchase the Pocket Amp 2. I inserted 2 AA batteries however i could hear hissing sound ( identicle  to the sound when you are tuning the radio) when the volume is at minimum. I use the normal lithium batteries. Do you guys who uses this amp encounter the same problem? Do you think the problem wil be resolve when if i were to use rechargeable batteries ? Please kindly enlighten me. Thanks

unsure.gif

To my understanding, it's not stated on the website that "normal" 1.5volts AA batteries can be used. it's best to use rechargeable 1.2volts batt.

Also check your interconnect cable as mine doesn't have hiss even at max. volume.

I remember Gary did say that he is using 3V circuit so alkaline battery should be OK. However since the battery is connected to the external DC in if u are using alkaline or non-rechargeable batteries make sure do not connect the amp to ext DC with batteries inside as the batteries will be charged and thus may deform or explode.

As Mackie said I would think it is best sending Gary an email as the unit may be faulty.

The batteries, be it lithium, energizer or conventional, are not the cause unless they are nearly flat. Like what Fuwen has mentioned, the amp functions on 3V AC-DC and thus substantiates this prognosis. I suspect the amp, source or flat batteries in this order of ranking.

Edited by Mackie