Sign in to follow this  
Rameish

20th Century History of Photography

BTW the eyecup for the Olympus has my diopter so I dont need to wear glasses. It has a slot and you can put in any "degree" you want - that's the only Nikon thing in that picture LOL.

w00t.gif What a collection w00t.gif

Precious classical foto gears!!! Very unique!!! I think the value will increase when film cameras become antique collector's item. Something like the vinyl recording and CD wink.gif

Hey Rameish! Are u slowing down on the headfi and hifi and back to photography again? Me too at the moment.

Fuwen,

Yeah looks like it LOL However I'm so out of touch with photography it isnt funny. Took a few snap shots and when the pictures came back I was disappointed. Forgot the golden rule of minimum hand held shutter speed equals focal length of lens (35mm format)! ie tried shooting some shots at 1/30 of a sec with a 100mm lens.

Also didnt quite follow the 1/3 rule. Have to take out my focusing screen with grid lines and plop it into the OM-1N body.

Also realised my "degree" has gone down (with age) and the diopter lens in my eyecup needs replacing. Have to visit my optician to get another made. This time I'll ask for german glass - schinder.

Other than that I'm still quite happy with the results LOL.

Have you gone digital yet fuwen? In a serious way I mean.

Edited by Rameish

My dad bought this in 1989. It's never been used and has never been in a dry cabinet/ box. Just chucked away in the cupboard. It still works and there is no fungus on the lens!

Yashica MF-2 Super:

user posted image

Hi Rameish, no, not yet seriouly going into digital photo. Already invested in a full range of conventional gears and hard to start all over again. Further more I am a supporter of German stuff but I would say they are slow and lousy in the digital aspect. I believe they probably will never ever catch up again.

I am also still not convince that the digital picture quality is anywhere near conventional emulsion negative/positive, althoug I must admit that at 3R it could be difficult to differentiate if the camera man skill is good.

Digital and Film are two different animals... they have good and bad on their own happy.gif

For example, for enlargement, if we use good software to interpolate the digital image, the 4Mp digital might show better result than the normal 35mm negative. There is no grain in digital tongue.gif

But there are a lot of digital's weakness as well, name it moire, CA, diagonal jaggies, narrow dynamic range, narrow white balance tolerance, color shift on shadow, color noise/grain, etc. While film doesn't have all of that.

The advantage of digital, more suitable for our modern multimedia workflow, grainless, and the most important thing for me is, we can touch it up to our taste biggrin.gif So the art doesn't stop on the shutter button, like most of us who don't develop the film by ourself. So digital give more room for creativity to get what we want yes.gif

Instant result, near $ 0.- operational cost make people like to take more pictures, try more, and learn more.

And one of the most important factor for me is, the storage and the convenience to browse hundreds or thousands fotos easily, which I cannot do with film.

With digital, I took in average about 4000 pictures a year for the last 5 years. When using film only about 25% of it. So, yes it is fun using digital yes.gif .

Sometime it is not the quality that matter, it is the moment that is precious wink.gif

Although I place a lot of emphasis on quality, I do agree that it is the moment that is precious. So whether digital or flim they are just another media for capturing that precious moment. However I felt that it is the pressing of the shuttle release that captures the moment and not really the touching up after that captures the moment.

Sometime it is not the quality that matter, it is the moment that is precious wink.gif

Wah, Bram, very spot on. I remember when trans take more than a week to come back from Tokyo (Kodachrome). Very hard to remember what you did wrong and the lessons were expensive! Now almost instant analysis. Yup, agree with you completely.

Digital and Film are two different animals... they have good and bad on their own happy.gif

For example, for enlargement, if we use good software to interpolate the digital image, the 4Mp digital might show better result than the normal 35mm negative. There is no grain in digital tongue.gif

But there are a lot of digital's weakness as well, name it moire, CA, diagonal jaggies, narrow dynamic range, narrow white balance tolerance, color shift on shadow, color noise/grain, etc. While film doesn't have all of that.

The advantage of digital, more suitable for our modern multimedia workflow, grainless, and the most important thing for me is, we can touch it up to our taste biggrin.gif So the art doesn't stop on the shutter button, like most of us who don't develop the film by ourself. So digital give more room for creativity to get what we want yes.gif

Instant result, near $ 0.- operational cost make people like to take more pictures, try more, and learn more.

And one of the most important factor for me is, the storage and the convenience to browse hundreds or thousands fotos easily, which I cannot do with film.

With digital, I took in average about 4000 pictures a year for the last 5 years. When using film only about 25% of it. So, yes it is fun using digital yes.gif .

Correct me if I'm wrong but it's possible to get Chromatic Abberation on film.. This is more of an issue with light conditions and the lens used..

Music and Photography kekeke finally found a link

Ah....Kodachrome

( Paul Simon )

When I think back

On all the crap I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all and though my lack of education

Hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall

Kodachrome You give us those nice bright colors You give us the greens of summers Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah! I got a Nikon camera I love to take a photograph So Mama, don't take my Kodachrome away

If you took all the girls I knew When I was singleAnd brought them all together for one night

I know they'd never match My sweet imagination And everything looks worse in black and white

Kodachrome You give us those nice bright colors You give us the greens of summers Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah! I got a Nikon camera I love to take a photograph

So Mama, don't take my Kodachrome away

Mama, don't take my Kodachrome away

Mama, don't take my Kodachrome

Mama, don't take my Kodachrome (away)

(Leave your boy so far from home)

Yes, I think Chromatic Abberation is a matter of lens design, and I believe is more for telephoto lens, thus the so called APO design. At least for the film camera design that I am very familar with. Correct me if I am wrong. Not sure digital design itself gives rise to CA.

BTW Bram, the whole list of digital weaknesses u mentioned are they across the board for all digital types? Would the better design like those pro digital SLR hardware and software able to resolve some of those issues? Because at least at 8R I have not seen digital print out give obvious problem with those issue u mentioned. Maybe I have not seen enough.

Film vs digital media, here we go again, like vinyl vs digital. Everyone has their individual preferences & each caters for specific needs. Let's not even get into the Nikon vs Canon et al.

This is the extent of my film setup. Used to have a Yashica rangefinder but stupidly sold it off as I didn't know better then.

user posted image

Unless it was an Electro 35 or a mechanical yashica SLR like the EX-3 Super 2000 - you made the right choice in selling it. Even then it was not a system camera. The only advantage it had was that it could use Contax lens. But then again if you could afford contex lenses then why bother with the shutter bounce issues of the Yashica.

I still like the Electo 35 though - not as muach as the Rollei 35 s that I had and sold for a song.

Would the better design like those pro digital SLR hardware and software able to resolve some of those issues? Because at least at 8R I have not seen digital print out give obvious problem with those issue u mentioned. Maybe I have not seen enough.

Higher end dSLRs with full frame sensor such as Canon EOS 1Ds suffer very little from narrow dynamic range, noise/grain or white balance tolerance.