Sign in to follow this  
Rameish

20th Century History of Photography

It really amazes me that you kept all your old gear. Are they all in working condition?

It really amazes me that you kept all your old gear. Are they all in working condition?

Hi! They are old gears but are actually my working gears. I would say almost 99% of them are in working condition. But nowadays I am using Rollei and have not been using Praktica for quite a while already. Since Praktica is the set I began photography with so will not sell them away because of sentimental value.

Wow you got elephant memory man. Can remember the price even hehehe

I too had a Practica MTL50 body (fully mechanical)with 2 Carl Ziess Jena and one pentacon lenses.

But I had bought the OM-1 already and was pampered by it :-) The only 35mm Rollei I ever owned was the cute 35S. Wish I never sold it.

Wow you got elephant memory man. Can remember the price even hehehe

I too had a Practica MTL50 body (fully mechanical)with 2 Carl Ziess Jena and one pentacon lenses.

Dear Rameish, imagin I have been eyeing at cameras but cannot afford for so long (since secondary sch, 1978) and how can I ever forget the price I paid for my first personal SLR(1985/86)? LOL!

Anyway I dun mind taking over your MTL50 set if u want to let go cheap ...... haha! But BTW is that the set Firefox is using lately? But I thought he told me something else over at Clubsnap ..........wink.gif

Edited by fuwen

Accidently chanced upon this site while making a search for the more modern MF Nikon SLRs:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/compa...iny20042006.htm

Anyway I dun mind taking over your MTL50 set if u want to let go cheap ...... haha! But BTW is that the set Firefox is using lately? But I thought he told me something else over at Clubsnap ..........wink.gif

Fuwen,

Unfortunately sold already lah No more Practica cam.

Not exactly the kind of upgrade path I envisioned in the beginning, but I've finally found THE camera for me. biggrin.gif

P.S. Yes, thats a plastic AF lense mounted on the camera. It will be sold shortly and metal bodied lenses aquired. The F80 and my other AF lense have already been sold off.

post-4-1118043326.jpg

Edited by av98m

Not exactly the kind of upgrade path I envisioned in the beginning, but I've finally found THE camera for me. biggrin.gif

P.S. Yes, thats a plastic AF lense mounted on the camera. It will be sold shortly and metal bodied lenses aquired. The F80 and my other AF lense have already been sold off.

Wow av98m, FM3A, that is a good one!

When u are into that type of photography where u want full controll and want to be the one who decide the moment of taking the picture, fully manual is the way. After all these years I have never been sick of manual focusing and manual exposure. I even use only matt focusing screen without microprisms and split image finder. Just like the way I have full control of the camera. Of course I use the build in meter for TTL metering.

Oh yes also just realise recently that if u want to do manual focus to use manual focus lens is the correct way. If u put the AF 50/1.8 side by side with a manual MF 50/1.8, u will realise that the depth of field scale of the AF lens is much narrower than the MF one. I believe to enable fast focusing with AF mechanism the lens has been designed with short movement. As a results if u use manual focucing human hand actually cannot have the resolution for pin-point focusing. However I believe the AF motor inside the lens can do a better job with short lens movement for focusing.

Thanks for the advice Fuwen. Yes, that AF 50mm will be sold tomorrow, found a buyer already. I shot a roll last weekend and it was definitely a very different experience compared to using a digital or autofocus 35mm slr. There's just something very satisfying about doing everything yourself with no automation. The diecast camera body doesn't hurt either! yes.gif

I myself do not use Nikon but from the photos I had seen try looking at the MF 24/2.8 and the 105/2.5 (not very sure of the f stop but I know is between f2 and f2.8). I am not a believer of zoom but I have to admit that I am quite impress by the 80-200/2.8 lens. If u dun mind carrying 1kg+ around can consider this zoom lens but get the version with tripod bush.

Enjoy!

Hehehe.. I've just 'upgraded' from my Praktica MTL-50 to a Canon EOS A2 (known as EOS 5 outside of US).. But still using my Carl Zeiss Jena 35mm/ 2.4 Flektogon and 135mm/ 3.5 Sonnar lenses with adaptors..

Same operating principle as a manual body except I now have a brighter viewfinder and spot metering function.

I myself do not use Nikon but from the photos I had seen try looking at the MF 24/2.8 and the 105/2.5 (not very sure of the f stop but I know is between f2 and f2.8).

Enjoy!

Yes, the Nikkor 105mm AI(S) is a f2.5 lense.. Know an ex-owner of the lense.. He sold it to another person whom I know online.. LOL..

Coincidentally, both live within 5 min walk from my place. The former runs the Kodak minilab/ studio near my place and the person who bought the lense is also his customer.. LOL...