ablaze

Lets change servers and get our own domain name!

Will you pay $1-$2 to kickstart the move?  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

problem is these companies with the fantastic offers are always the new upstarts with lil or no feedback.

or we could go with the reliable route ie. www.iwi.com.sg @$150 or twice as much as the others..sigh..deicisions. sleep.gif

Yeah! The polls should indicate interest, we also need a medium and long term plan. Also where is the direction you want the forum to go etc etc. Paying what ever money is fine as long as VFM is there. Sit it out for a week or so and get more feedback from the members.

Is there a Lawyer in the house?

Edited by matbon0013

Did I say I was in yet? I'm in, I'm in... I'm in!!! Annoying?! Yep that's how I feel everyday I try to logon ppth.gif

This seems harder than expected i.e. choosing a host. Trying to guarantee the reliability is tricky unless the Host puts that in writing. We get what we pay ergo cheap need not necessarily mean reliable. I'll try to check out the links later.

We only have 11 votes for 'yes' so far so that's not much yet, hopefully more will vote & committ in the thread. At $3/person that's only $33 (min) excluding the guys intending to pay more.

Rameish has kindly offered to pay for the yearly Domain name registration. So that's one less thing we have to worry about.

Just a few questions:

1. How many MBs of storage do we realistically need, inclusive of picture attachments, avatars etc.

2. Is it possible to transfer the existing forum/format & possibly even add/modify to the new host?

3. Will we be able to sustain the yearly fees?

Compared between the 2 links, their differing advantages as I understand are as follows:

IT Works

- free domain name

- unlimited email accounts depending on storage

- Anitvirus & Spam filtering

- Pro version only $36.08 additional /year

Cyber Genesis

- POP3 email as opposed to web based but limited to 10 only (enough for admin, sponsor & moderators)

- Theoretically cheaper package (but not compared with domain name if equivalent to IT Work's June Windows Pro package)

- No contract

Without knowing their actual performance the IT Works should come out cheaper due to the combined Domain name offer, assuming the 'SGheadphones' is available. If we can afford it I suggest the Pro package otherwise the Lite should be ok if the storage is more than adequate for long term.

I did a quick search on IT Work's Domain name & SGheadphones.com .org & .net are all still available!

We only have 11 votes for 'yes' so far so that's not much yet, hopefully more will vote & committ in the thread. At $3/person that's only $33 (min) excluding the guys intending to pay more.

Probably they can't vote because they can't come in tongue.gif

Cute wallbash.gif

hm? what's wrong N@z ??

what cute? whistling.gif

anyway voted 'yes' smile.gif

Nothing, nothing... whistling.gif

Thanks man.

Just a few questions:

1. How many MBs of storage do we realistically need, inclusive of picture attachments, avatars etc.

2. Is it possible to transfer the existing forum/format & possibly even add/modify to the new host?

3. Will we be able to sustain the yearly fees?

Compared between the 2 links, their differing advantages as I understand are as follows:

IT Works

- free domain name

- unlimited email accounts depending on storage

- Anitvirus & Spam filtering

- Pro version only $36.08 additional /year

Cyber Genesis

- POP3 email as opposed to web based but limited to 10 only (enough for admin, sponsor & moderators)

- Theoretically cheaper package (but not compared with domain name if equivalent to IT Work's June Windows Pro package)

- No contract

Without knowing their actual performance the IT Works should come out cheaper due to the combined Domain name offer, assuming the 'SGheadphones' is available. If we can afford it I suggest the Pro package otherwise the Lite should be ok if the storage is more than adequate for long term.

I did a quick search on IT Work's Domain name & SGheadphones.com .org & .net are all still available!

1. I'd say 100mb would be safe. Right now, our forums take up about 13mb only! the beauty of forums is..the most of it is really just text. of course something like 200mb would give us more breathing space.

2. yep thats what i'll be (trying to) do. we won't lose any of the information currently here..at least if nothing screws up rolleyes.gif

3. I don't think it'll be a problem.

regarding the comparison, Cyber-genesis also offers a free domain name with their yearly package actually. as I said, ITworks works out to be about $12.99x12 a year ~$156. whilst cyber-genesis is $69.99 a year. I'm more for c-genesis right now. as I said, I really wouldn't feel too good keeping $156 of everyone's money. puts a lot of pressure on me yknow no.gif

Based on what I've read & understood domain name is $22 extra per year. Anyhoo, if you think the price is cheaper & hosting will be reliable I'll back you up mr boss man. cool.gif

P.s.

N@z.com is still available! wink.gif

that promo for c-genesis is for sgwht members (that sg webhosting forum) so its not actually on their webpage, but yes, it does include the domain name for a year wink.gif

I think I'm just going to fork out the money when I can, and hope members contribute voluntarily..too much pressure if I get a pool of everyone's money to go ahead. After all, I'm really only guessing on the new host's reliability..if it goes down, and people's money's involved..I'll feel damn wacko.gif man. at least if its mostly my own money..

Great news. OK let us know when you wanna do it so we can make our contributions. If you fork out for it you could get ablaze.com & SGHeadphones on the sub domain wink.gif something to consider. A nice legacy wouldn't you think?

Ablaze,

This forum is worth developing and as it is, I don't mind footing the yearly bill and own this forum. But I will need a board of capable moderators in the technical areas to run this place. With forsight, I hope this forum will evolve to something bigger and include sections on other areas of audiophilia. Hence, we must be certain the new host is capable of accomodating such an expansion.

Another option is to have a partnership between some of us and get the whole process rolling. Every down-time pisses me off and leaves a bad taste on all members and visitors.

What do U think?

agree.. perhaps in a year time or so, we can develop into something like xtremeplace or echoloft. How cool is that. Then maybe put up reviews/tweaks and so on by our very own forum members

Actually the board is fine as it is now, it's just the downtime that is kinda irritating. One thing I notice though, even head-fi also is experiencing down time at a certain hr(maintenance perhaps?)