jasonhanjk

Guide to fix up a Cmoy 2

Finally found the time to built the CMOY2. Just some observations about the built. The PCB board is extremely easy to populate and solder. But the holes for the leads for signal in & out, power + & - and LED are too small. Perhaps they can be enlarged slightly for the next run.

Another thing, the recommended enclosure from Hammond is too small to include the pot, switch, LED and jacks in the front panel. Need some creative layout to fit into the case. I didn't want to spoil the case, so I am using my favourite sweet tin, the Hudson tin, as the first casing.

Regards.

I think smaller snug holes are better than large because you will need to fill the gap on larger holes with excessive solder. smile.gif

I think smaller snug holes are better than large because you will need to fill the gap on larger holes with excessive solder. smile.gif

I did mention larger holes only for the wire leads, as it is better to use larger diameter wire than small, I prefer stranded as they don't break as easily. Any way, it's just a suggestion, it is ok if others don't agree. happy.gif

Edited by heady

Guest starushz
Hi guys i got the cmoy2 pcb. Anywa im asking what typd of audio jack you all use?

As in any special one or those normal from SLT $1/piece one?

Guys can anyone help me here?

Hi guys i got the cmoy2 pcb. Anywa im asking what typd of audio jack you all use?

Starushz,

These are two types of jacks I have tried and a new type I just got. The one on the upper left, I didn't like as it melts when soldering. Maybe I was a newbie and took too long but the contacts were also no good.

The upper right jack is one I have been using for a long time as it is cheap and until lately good enough. In the recent batch I bought, some had poor contacts. I bought these from Sun Light in SLT.

The type at the bottom is the most expensive, $3 each, from LHS in SLT also. Haven't actually used them yet but they do look solid.

Hope that's the info you need.

Audio_Jacks.jpg

Hi guys, sorry for the late reply. Got to go back Malaysia to settle something...

Freshno.

The Mouser part is 688-RK09L12B0A31. I think you got something similiar but I don't know whether can you use it. I think I will post the image file later in the forum.

Kahchun, too bad I format my PC without saving my files. I'll redraw it again once I am free. Can you post a picture so I can understand it clearly?

Yup Heady, the front panel cannot put everything. tongue.gif

Guest starushz

Starushz,

These are two types of jacks I have tried and a new type I just got. The one on the upper left, I didn't like as it melts when soldering. Maybe I was a newbie and took too long but the contacts were also no good.

The upper right jack is one I have been using for a long time as it is cheap and until lately good enough. In the recent batch I bought, some had poor contacts. I bought these from Sun Light in SLT.

The type at the bottom is the most expensive, $3 each, from LHS in SLT also. Haven't actually used them yet but they do look solid.

Hope that's the info you need.

thanks alot heady laugh.gif

Finished casing my CMOY2 in the Hammond box specified in the instructions:

user posted image

user posted image

I did not use the specified pot although I did solder it in earlier before I realised that the box's front panel is too small for the jacks, volume pot, switch and LED. Had really hard time removing the pot, some of the pads came off while trying to remove all the solder and pry out the pot.

I finally used a ALPS 10K volume pot with built-in switch. I bought this pot from Tangent.

Anyway, the CMOY2 sounds good. The LM6171 really change the characteristic dark sound of the BB OPA2134. Good details and a good amount of bass. Can't fault this amp except for the specified casing. Should change it to something a little larger.

finally got off my butt and assembled the cmoy2. so happy that it works on my 1st attempt. made 1 boo-boo...forgot to add a switch to this... now to put all this into a case.. biggrin.gif

user posted image

jasonhanjk, your assembly instructions are very clear. thanks!

Could you use op2132pa op-amps on this pcb?

is there an alernative chip that could be used instead of the LM6171

Edited by Fresno bob

Guest starushz

Where can I get the LM6171? I went to federal they never sell.

Where can I get the LM6171? I went to federal they never sell.

From Farnell. Call them via telephone and then collect from their Trade Counter. They are located near junction of Eunos Link and Airport Road.

Edited by heady

You can order farnell part from Federal, pay them upfront.

Yes, OPA2132 too.

Thanks, Alvin. I still need to do more improvement on the intructions for newbie.

Good camera though.

Guest starushz
You can order farnell part from Federal, pay them upfront.

Yes, OPA2132 too.

Thanks, Alvin. I still need to do more improvement on the intructions for newbie.

Good camera though.

I went to fedral today...they dont have the LM6171. Think the only way to get them is throught the farnell channel