jasonhanjk

Guide to fix up a Cmoy 2

Update to post above . . .

Managed to troubleshoot successfully wohoo biggrin.gif

Apparently the audio jacks I used were wonky haha. I desoldered the jacks, than using wires and croc clips connected the input/ouput pads to the mini-stero plugs directly, and sweet music output finally smile.gif

When seting up the above testing config, I forgot to the connect the output ground to the stereo plug ground, and that produced exactly the same sound as I originally encountered. So I'm guessing one of the audio jacks ground was fried . . .

Now I just need to get some switchcraft jacks and reconnect them to the board . . . poor wallet heh.

And the OPA2227s definitely sound better in the CMOY2 than in the Go-Vibe, nice work.

Hi,

Any idea if the ALPS RK097 volume pot as listed in Tangent's Audio Shop can be mounted directly onto the PCB? Reason being I'm having trouble fitting a switch/audio jack near the audio output jacks as there's not enough clearance with a socketed LM6171 installed. After casing the amp up in the Hammond one end of the LM6171 tends to get pushed out of it's socket by the audio jack/switch.

Soldering the LM6171 directly to the PCB probably would give enough clearance for a jack at the spot but I risk frying the chip...

Also, if the pot is changed to the RK097 (10k), do any of the resistor values need to be changed?

Thanks.

Hi,

Any idea if the ALPS RK097 volume pot as listed in Tangent's Audio Shop can be mounted directly onto the PCB? Reason being I'm having trouble fitting a switch/audio jack near the audio output jacks as there's not enough clearance with a socketed LM6171 installed. After casing the amp up in the Hammond one end of the LM6171 tends to get pushed out of it's socket by the audio jack/switch.

Soldering the LM6171 directly to the PCB probably would give enough clearance for a jack at the spot but I risk frying the chip...

Also, if the pot is changed to the RK097 (10k), do any of the resistor values need to be changed?

Thanks.

xchagg, if this is the pot with the built in switch, it won't mount on the CMOY2 pcb. This is because of the 2 extra solder tags for the switch. What I did was to use short wires to connect to the pot and mount it slight above the pcb, with the pot rotated 90 degrees. I did not change the resistor values.

Edited by heady

Wow, You guys are really creative to come out so much stuff. biggrin.gif

Too bad I was too new to cater so much design chage you guys have done, maybe the next time... wink.gif

thanks heady. Think I'll stick to the standard pot and put it in a different casing. Mmm . . tupperware anyone? More wiring = more things that can go wrong. Though the thickness of the plastic is a pain to drill through with a battery powered drill dry.gif As for the 1st CMOY2, it'll have to do without a LM6171 lol.

yeah i wasn't able to fit it into that small casing so my cmoy2 now sitting in a namecard box smile.gif still using liquid paper cap for my volume knob blush.gif need to find time go buy a nice knob for it laugh.gif

thanks heady. Think I'll stick to the standard pot and put it in a different casing. Mmm . . tupperware anyone? More wiring = more things that can go wrong. Though the thickness of the plastic is a pain to drill through with a battery powered drill dry.gif As for the 1st CMOY2, it'll have to do without a LM6171 lol.

I never had problem drilling with plastic. You need to clamp down the plastic box though. The sweet tins are terrible to drill, too thin and soft, so I only use punch for them.

I would like to get a couple of boards of the CMoy amp.

Would the person who is selling the boards, please send me an e-mail or PM me here?

Thanks

Rodders

anyone seen tropical recently....sent him a pm but no answer yet

hi guys, i think tropical have ran out of boards. i brought the last two from him 2weeks ago. headphone.gif

Erm just a couple questions about the design of the CMOY2?

1. Is this considered a 2-channel or a 3-channel design?

2. What is the function of the LM6171? As a ground channel, or some sort of voltage splitter or VG?

3. Is voltage splitting accomplished by the LM6171 or by resistors?

4. Would a BUF634 work in place of the LM6171? tongue.gif

No cheem terminology plz, still a newbie at audio stuff haha.

Thanks.

Erm just a couple questions about the design of the CMOY2?

1. Is this considered a 2-channel or a 3-channel design?

2. What is the function of the LM6171? As a ground channel, or some sort of voltage splitter or VG?

3. Is voltage splitting accomplished by the LM6171 or by resistors?

4. Would a BUF634 work in place of the LM6171? tongue.gif

No cheem terminology plz, still a newbie at audio stuff haha.

Thanks.

Simple answer:

1. 3

2. VG

3. resistor

4. no

hi guys, i think tropical have ran out of boards. i brought the last two from him 2weeks ago. headphone.gif

Hi. We've been busy lately. I'll PM you again when the board are available.