Sign in to follow this  
ssheavy

Denon 835 cd player

Hi guys. I have this 3 year old cd player Denon 835 (a 1998 model, about there). It does not skip; it plays well till today. Now, I have 3 cds that this player just can't read and play. LOTR Two Towers OST (76min), Prince Gold album (70+ min) and The Sounds - Living in America (46min). All 3 cds are stainless/ spotless/ brand new condition. I got a feeling that maybe the lens is too 'old' to read discs like these. And it can't read Dual discs as well. Apart from that the player plays other cds well. I wonder...

Should I upgrade my player or is it possible to change the lens/ chip/ circuit etc of the 835? Thank you!

I have the same cd player too. Haven't had any problem reading original pressed cds though. It is possible that your lens are dying already. Furthermore some disc, though may appear new, may not be perfect. I also have 2 perfect looking discs that my cdroms have a hard time reading.

Denon should be able to replace the lens. From what i remember, the transport is made by Sharp.

Edited by evil-zen

I have the same cd player too. Haven't had any problem reading original pressed cds though. It is possible that your lens are dying already. Furthermore some disc, though may appear new, may not be perfect. I also have 2 perfect looking discs that my cdroms have a hard time reading.

Denon should be able to replace the lens. From what i remember, the transport is made by Sharp.

Thank you Firefox for the tip on dual disc. I wasn't aware of that. But my cheap Pioneer 270s dvd player plays the dualdisc fine. Anyway, I'll stay away from them till further improvement.

Hi Evil Zen! So you are using 835 too! You see, I play only original cds, I wish I'd burned more cdrs! tongue.gif change lens huh... may I know how much? Including servicing that is. Thanks man!

PS: Audioslave s/t on the Grado SR60 is superb!