Sign in to follow this  
augustineRS

Miles Davis

I've only heard his pieces recently when i was in a lift(yes, in a lift)

Is he classified under jazz?

Can anyone reccomend similar pieces/songs to his.

I only know who performed the song after a very nice expat in the lift informed me when i was asking aloud to a friend who the performer is in the song.

Yes, he can be classified under jazz.

I can't comment on the piece though. There are like thousands of tracks under him.

I'll recommend you do a google on "miles davis" and have fun with the million hits. biggrin.gif

Go do a read up on him. It'll be more interesting when you pick up the cds.

He is a L E G E N D in the history of Jazz. The abovementioned album is a must-buy if U dig Miles Davis.

!

I think that will really be the album to buy. The song i heard that day is 'So What'.

Most of his songs are w/o vocal right?

Thanks

Augustine

Affirmative on no vocals unless its a collaborative effort with jazz singers. I suggest U visit www.amazon.com and try the test tracks there. His music changes with the times and as such, the later releases may not be your cup of tea. Those made in the 60s are mainstream jazz and easily digestible.

If you like Miles....

also look out for John Coltrane, Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, Art Tatum, Thelonious Monk, Duke Ellington...to name a few.

This is REAL jazz, with funky scales and off-beat timings, played with soul. The sh*t you see now listed under "jazz" is more commercial, easy listening standards. I hate'em, all these new "artists" keep singing the same old songs over and over and over to make a quick buck. Granted the original standards are nice, but some of the current covers are just overdoing it.

Chris

If you like Miles....

also look out for John Coltrane, Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, Art Tatum, Thelonious Monk, Duke Ellington...to name a few.

This is REAL jazz, with funky scales and off-beat timings, played with soul. The sh*t you see now listed under "jazz" is more commercial, easy listening standards. I hate'em, all these new "artists" keep singing the same old songs over and over and over to make a quick buck. Granted the original standards are nice, but some of the current covers are just overdoing it.

Chris

AMEN

But do remember Miles had several "periods" each with a different sound. Kinda Blue is a classic but may be over the top for the newbie.

Since you're askin'...start with the Prestige Recordings of the Miles Davis Quintet;

1) MILES

2) COOKIN

3) WORKIN

4)STEMIN

5) RELAXIN

They are five seperate LP but you should be able to get some kinda CD box set.

The same phenomenon applies to Bossa Nova genre. Once U hear Astrud sang Girl from Ipanema with Getz and Joachim, would U wanna hear the contemporary cover? Guess not.

AMEN

But do remember Miles had several "periods" each with a different sound. Kinda Blue is a classic but may be over the top for the newbie.

Since you're askin'...start with the Prestige Recordings of the Miles Davis Quintet;

1) MILES

2) COOKIN

3) WORKIN

4)STEMIN

5) RELAXIN

They are five seperate LP but you should be able to get some kinda CD box set.

These are good suggestions from someone with experience.