matbon0013

Plainview Battery

Definitely can't use on the GP charger due to the higher output requirements. I'm concerned that using a step down transformer may not be a wise idea due to our mains supply being 50Hz.

I'm not sure, need to double check.

Confirm I don't need the charger as my Varta Charger does the job - albeit I can only charge one battery at a time. I'll rather buy 2 varta chargers rather than a step up because step up don't correct the cycles - 50 cycles vs US 60 cycles. Am I right on this - any Power Supply experts here.

But our GP charger is not rated the same as your Varta charger. From my understanding, the GP chargers will not be able to provide the Plainviews a full charge.

Also confirmed that the cycle will need a converter hence if the step down transformer doesn't have it built in it might be a problem.

I'll check the GP chargers you guys have - I suspect if you charge only one battery at a time it should output 10.5 VDC (usually it's around 16 - 20 VDC for 2 batteries so each gets only 8 or 10 VDC) I'll check.

Also, I just tested charging a Varta 9-volt battery (one at a time) and I got a reading of 10.25 Volts! This is a good 1 volt higher then if I charged 2 batteries at one time using the same charger. It also seems to last longer - about 16 hours on the PCII running flat out operating at class A mode while the other Varta battery lasted about 13.5 hours flats out as well with no switching off.

Let me do more "research and testing" will get back to you by next week with results.

Good idea, I'll try as well. Where did you take your 10.25 volts reading from, the battery or charger terminals? Full charging takes how long on your Varta (single & twin)?

Hmm the GP Rapid Charger seems to output 75 VDC!!! The others are in the 11 VDC cat hmm.

N@Z, if you wish to check the battery after you've charged it (yes the 10.25 vdc was taken off the battery), please remember you need to use a resistor as well.

This is strange - 75 VDC that is. I can't tell you guys the model number bec I'm charging 2 varta 9-volt batteries right now and the spec sheet is stuck on the underside. Please be patient and I will sort it out. Just need to chrage and discarge a couple of time to make sure I getting consistent readings. The Varta battery is a lot cheaper at 13.50 sing. I know it even sold for less at Mustafa but their supplies are not regular.

This shows the details of the exact GP Rapid Charger we're using right now.

N@Z and Matbon,

Guess what - that's the exact charger I have. Okay if this works you needn't get Planview as the Varta is a lot cheaper at around $13.50 or so. I check the exact prices at the battery shop in the basment of SLS. If the Varta batteries output more than 10 volts on average with the GP charger. Give me time to chrge and discarge the batteries a couple of times okay. Patience is the key here.

Just remember the key issue of the Plainviews. Not how long it holds it charge but the ability to be able to retain over 9Vs until it is fully drained i.e. drops off to 0. So far I have see the GPs will drop to 6V before it drains fully. Which is not much use on a Meta.

Confirm I don't need the charger as my Varta Charger does the job - albeit I can only charge one battery at a time. I'll rather buy 2 varta chargers rather than a step up because step up don't correct the cycles - 50 cycles vs US 60 cycles. Am I right on this - any Power Supply experts here.

For charging batteries and other application, it doesn't matter if it's 50 or 60 hz. Coz after the 50hz or 60 hz AC current is being rectified, the end result is just the DC current. Only audiophile with golden ears would be bothered on whether their equipments are getting 50 hz or 60 hz.