matbon0013

Plainview Battery

jtfoo, so basically it won't affect/damage the equipment? It is a charger after all so I wouldn't think sound quality is an issue with it... tongue.gif

Just measured my fully charged GPs immediately after charging... just under 10.25V, which dropped to just under 10V after it cooled down. Dunno whether it was wise or not but I measured the voltage output from the charger's 9V terminals & it read 15.75V

N@Z,

How certain are u about Plainviews not dropping to 6 volts towards end of life? Anyways confired that the Vartas with GP charger do charge up to 10 volts plus.

However, voltage does drop a little during playback and once it hits about 7 Volts it goes into rapid discharge. If the Plainviews are able to hold their charge at 9 Volts until near end of life then they are a superior product. And I want them.

Anyway we can confirm this??

jtfoo, so basically it won't affect/damage the equipment? It is a charger after all so I wouldn't think sound quality is an issue with it... tongue.gif

Just measured my fully charged GPs immediately after charging... just under 10.25V, which dropped to just under 10V after it cooled down. Dunno whether it was wise or not but I measured the voltage output from the charger's 9V terminals & it read 15.75V

50/60hz won't affect or damaged your charger. Important is the voltage requirement

Thanks again jtfoo.

Rameish, I'm gonna have to dig up the thread in Head-fi concerning my previous comment because that's where I read it from. Hence why Head-Fiers' holy grail is the Plainviews. If anyone has the link handy post it here why don't cha.

That was quick! Thanks.

The first link, quote from Hirsch:

A NiMH power cell is 1.2 volts. A 9v battery gets its voltage by using several cells. Usually, they don't add up to 9v. IIRC Energizer only used to use six cells, so the real voltage of the battery was only 7.2 v...which could starve an amp that needed volts. Most NiMH 9v batteries use seven cells, to produce 8.4 v. Still a bit shy of 9v, but close enough so that most devices won't care. The Plainview is unique, in that it's the only NiMH 9v I know of that uses eight power cells. That gives it a voltage of 9.6v. Even under load, it will maintain a voltage at or above 9v until near the end of the charge. No other 9v NiMH battery does this (that I know about). If your amp sounds better with the higher voltage, the Plainview is the only 9v NiMH battery that can deliver it.

Gonna look through your 2nd link search results.

I see... The higher the voltage will have better sound result. You want to try a Dc-Dc converter to have +-12V? rolleyes.gif

I noticed that on the Headroom TAH &

I noticed that on the Headroom TAH & AH amps. Care to elaborate on a seperate thread on it's pros/cons?

Are you referring to this:

quote:

Originally posted by timoteus

For some reason on the Plainview battery it says...Charge at 17mA (max.) but the charger they recommend using outputs 25mA.

That was the trigger that had me calling and e-mailing both Thomas Distributing and Plainview. I didn't like that discrepancy, and, given the warning on the battery, wanted to make sure the 25 ma charger was safe. I suspect the label was designed before they made their own charger.

So ours is 170mAH/10mA= 17hrs of charge if 2 plainviews at a time.

Single 170/20= 8.5hrs