Sign in to follow this  
heady

10K pot for CMOY2

Hi all,

Can't seem to find a suitable dual 10K pot for the CMOY2 in Farnell, except this one:

http://sg.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/par...SKU=3071273&N=0

What do the experienced among you say, it this usable? Cost more than the Alps. Or can I use a dual 50K pot? I have one in stock.

Thanks

For the cmoy amp you can use any pot between 10k-100k. Just change R2 to accomodate your pot. Lets say the original article dictates R2 is 100K OHM when using a 10K pot. If you wanted to use a 50K pot you would change R2 to 500K, 100K pot R2 would be 1MEG. Good luck!

Why you want to use an expensive 10k if you can get cheaper alps 50k? blink.gif

That's why I ask, lah. biggrin.gif Dunno if it is ok, mah. So I have to change the resistors as dokebi has said?

Oh rite... Yes, you can use the 50k one but do not change other resistor value.

Edited by jasonhanjk

Thanks Jason.

Edited by heady

Hi guys,

Newbie here too. Difference is I don't even have a alps 50k pot , in that case, where can i get the alps 10k pot in slt? i'm not going to get another from farnell in the near future yet, cos i need parts to accumulate to $30 before the delivery charge is waived biggrin.gif , so just thinking of going down to sl tower to get the alps pot... thx in adv guys!

Hi guys,

Newbie here too. Difference is I don't even have a alps 50k pot , in that case, where can i get the alps 10k pot in slt? i'm not going to get another from farnell in the near future yet, cos i need parts to accumulate to $30 before the delivery charge is waived biggrin.gif , so just thinking of going down to sl tower to get the alps pot... thx in adv guys!

hi floops, welcome. I have never found a suitable pot in SLT. There are some PCB mounted type without the bushing to screw to panel. I found those very difficult to use. If you want one like that, this shop near the escalator on ground floor, I think it is San-Ace or something like that have one but you need to look at all the samples. You need a 10KAx2 pot.

Otherwise, you will need to spend bigger bucks and order from Tangent. His has built-in on/off switch.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply! Argh, I thought i can easily find those 10KAx2 pots with on/off switch, cos i've actually built my cmoy 90%, it's working very well, tested it with croc clips for the input without a pot at max gain. the problem now is that my casing does not hav sufficient space for a pot and spdt switch, so either the spdt switch or the pot has to go, and i have decided to include the pot instead...

Btw is there a way to modify the circuit so that the cmoy is switched on only when the headphones is plugged into the input jack? This will allow me to use a cheaper pot and do away with the switch. Thanks in adv!

I know those type plug in then turn on type are MCU controlled. You can try drill the stereo jacks on the side of the casing, it will give you more space.