Sign in to follow this  
Yon

Headphone amplifier?

What would be a good headphone amplifier to look into if i have around $300? And would the CD player make a hugh difference even if i have a good headphone amplifier?

If you have a lower end headphone, I suggest you save up your money to get a higher end headphone before getting an amp. It is also preferable to have a good source first before getting an amp or else it will be 'Garbage In, Garbage Out'.

Let's say you have a good headphone and a good source, then for the price of $300, i suggest you go for DIY. For example RA1 clone, PIMETA or CMOY etc. If you have a good headphone amplifier, then a good cd player will be better appreciated. For me, I feel that source makes a bigger difference than amps.

Edited by evil-zen

A good source with decent interconnects is a prerequisite and you can get away with a not so good amp if you have easy to drive headphones like say a Grado SR-225/etymotic/Sony 3000 etc. Hard to drive headphones like the Senn HD-600 Beyer DT880 etc need to be partnered with good amps.

For $300 there's only the diy alternative or second hand. Which amp would depend on system synergy.

A good source with decent interconnects is a prerequisite and you can get away with a not so good amp if you have easy to drive headphones like say a Grado SR-225/etymotic/Sony 3000 etc. Hard to drive headphones like the Senn HD-600 Beyer DT880 etc need to be partnered with good amps.

For $300 there's only the diy alternative or second hand. Which amp would depend on system synergy.

I fully agree. When I built my CMOY, 3 channel CMOY and Pimeta clone. I could not hear much difference among them with my Sennheiser HD450 and HD497. Very disappointing. But when I got a Beyer DT880, I could hear the difference between the amps quite clearly.

If you are on a budget, I would say get a Grado, it sounds quite good from the output of most sources. Many of the forum members here sing the praise of the SR80 but I have had not opportunity to hear it yet. And when you get an amp later, you will still benefit from the amp.

Just my two cents. happy.gif

Edited by heady

It would help if you could share with us your current setup so that we can make more informed recommendations. As it is now, the PIMETA seems to be one of the more decent headamps in that price category.

i'm using the sony scd-1 with audio note dac 2 in the living room but i have absolutely nothing in my bedroom except my sony radio clock. i have no intention to move any from the living room that's why i'm considering on something to start with. I'm new to all these headphone stuffs but they seem so interesting....

You should invest in a good CD player just like the one you currently own in the living hall, like Evil-zen says, "Garbage in garbage out"........ I'm using the Grado RA-1 amplifier, battery operated with 2 9volt batteries...... like the portability of it....... but $300 cannot make it....... unless US dollars lol.gif Joking. biggrin.gif

There's an RA-1 clone with premium parts in the Classifieds for SG$280, if anyone's interested.

There's an RA-1 clone with premium parts in the Classifieds for SG$280, if anyone's interested.

party.gifyes.gifparty.gif

A good match for Grado's and many other headphones.. In fact, it's got great synergy with the Sennheiser HD600's too..

Ok, another question, so if money isn't a factor, what would be the diff between the DIY headphone amp u guys make and those made by Grado or Audio techica? i mean they cost more but do they sound really much better? Or is it totally unnecessary to spend that money?

I would tend to think that the DIY should sound on par, if not better than the original as premium parts are used in DIY. I believe one of the reasons people started "cloning" the RA-1 was because they realised that it was made using cheap and easily available components which do not justify the price they pay Grado.

If you are into PCs, then it's exactly like building your own PC kind of analogy.

Firstly you'll save on the brand name. Secondly you get to configure it to your own liking. My own build PC outruns a doubly priced DELL anytime. =] Thirdly, it's your very own and you get to "hear" sounds other never hear(stratisfaction sounds). =] And finally, you should have lots of time! LOL.

But if you are SERIOUSLY into sound and like hands on, it's kinda fun to make your own amp. Otherwise, leave it to the experts and avoid a pending disaster. I prefer to go small like soldering cables and modding PS2s. =]

Yes you can spend the money on labeled equipment, but make sure you know which are the value for money labels. Of course you should avoid certain B&_ brands. LOL.

how much do you need to know to DIY your own headphone amplifier? What should i be reading for example......time isn't a hugh factor for me, just that i dun know anyone could just built one like that.

At the very least you need to know how to read simple schematics and soldering/de-soldering, and be able to do simple troubleshooting. The monkey see, monkey do approach to building amps is not advisable. You only need to search for and read the numerous failed projects in the diy forum to see for yourself. And unless you already have the required tools, you need to plow some money into things like soldering iron, multimeter, screwdrives, pliers etc etc etc.

If you are into PCs, then it's exactly like building your own PC kind of analogy.

Firstly you'll save on the brand name. Secondly you get to configure it to your own liking. My own build PC outruns a doubly priced DELL anytime. =] Thirdly, it's your very own and you get to "hear" sounds other never hear(stratisfaction sounds). =] And finally, you should have lots of time! LOL.

But if you are SERIOUSLY into sound and like hands on, it's kinda fun to make your own amp. Otherwise, leave it to the experts and avoid a pending disaster. I prefer to go small like soldering cables and modding PS2s. =]

Yes you can spend the money on labeled equipment, but make sure you know which are the value for money labels. Of course you should avoid certain B&_ brands. LOL.

That explains why there isn't many shops in Singapore that carry headphone amplifiers..... any of those that are good and for sale in shops?

i also read that the RA-1 from Grado(dunno about the clone version) are only design to drive headphones at 32ohms like the Grados so meaning if i have intention to buy the senn headphones over a 100ohms it wouldn't be compatible?