Sign in to follow this  
papaya86

Comparison between Grado SR80 and 225

jus got a grado 225, full burned in, compared to sr80, it offers a little more details than sr80, highs are smoother, the most significant improvement is the bass. The bass on 225 goes much lower and deeper, sr80 goes thump thump thump, 225 goes THUMP THUMP THUMP, yeah thats about all i found out about 225.

Thanks for the impressions. Do you think that the improvement is worth the price difference, keeping in mind, of course, that the law of diminishing returns is applicable as usual?

Edited by Absolute0

To deviate a little, i found my 325i to be a considerable improvement over my 125s to fully justify the price increment. Bass is much fuller , deeper and has more impact. But what made a difference is the 325i's transparency and amazing transients.

So yes, paying the extra was worth it. For me, at least.

definately worth the upgrade, its a totally different beast compared to sr80, previously i auditioned it side by side with sr80 at music by design using mobile fidelity pink floyd the wall cd, apart from some very micro details, the sr225 was totally not impressive in the bass department. pink floyd the wall isnt the right cd to test bass, for very small details, its very good. now comparing the bass on my own system and cds, it wins sr80 hands down in both quantity of bass and quality of bass. The highs are much smoother as well and its treble isnt over the top. paying the extra is definately worth it. and the best thing is i got this for 160, mint in condition fully burned in, haha...

for details, i wouldnt say its a very big improvement, i jus hear some soft sounds (like in some live tracks audience talking, funny sound effects on pink floyds tracks etc) a little louder and clearer than before, thats all, but the bass improved alot, and highs also very smooth compared to 80, 80 still a little grainy

oh yah, i asked a head-fier this question, "how much improvement, in percentage, do u tink i would get out of upgrading to sr225?" his answer was 200 percent improvement. but after i auditioned it at mbd using "the wall", i dropped the idea. This time round i got it since it was so cheap, and i don't know if the improvement can be said to be a 200 percent improvement, but one things for sure, it kills sr80 in the bass department.

For $160, it's a real bargain. I don't think many cans can beat the grados for bang-for-the-buck at that price.

I am jealous bud, I really am. I saw this person using SR225 (I am sure because of the metal grilles) ot of a portable on MRT. I was like w00t.gif LEWPY w00t.gif

The MS2/SR325(both i and non-i) version have metal enclosures. Grilles are where the "SR225" button sticks. laugh.gif

I am still gawking ... btw...

Username, ha.. till now only know one guy using 325 on the move, sometimes will use RS1 too.. driven by iPod