Mackie

Coin Tweaks

For a start,

1. Stick a 5-cent coin on the power plug of your headamp and cdp. If it sounds bright to U, replace them with 1-cent coins.

2. Place a 1-cent coin at each corner on top of your cdp, approx 2 cm from the edges. Position one 5-cent coin right in the middle. If U like the sonic changes, use double-side tape to stick the coins in position.

3. If your cans are too bright, stick one 1-cent coin on each side of the cans' cups. Replace these with 5-cent coins if you wish your cans to sound more exhuberant. U can also try a combo of one 1-cent and 5-cent coins on each cup if your cans are neither bright or laid back.

The theory behind is once again.....RESONANCE. As yet, different coins from different countries are made from different mix of metals and hence, carry various sonic signatures but apparently, S'pore 1-cent and 5-cent coins are more balanced sonically and thus chosen. The various compound of these coins react when faced with external energy and resonate in different frequencies under a more controlled environment to produce desirable effects.

1-cent coins tend to sound "dead" and useful to acquire a quieter background, better control and neutrality...sort of placing an art piece on a cleaner and whiter sheet of paper for better clarity of the picture. However, overuse of 1-cent coin tweaks can result in a very dead and lifeless sound.

5-cent coins are more "lively" and these are useful in achieving a more analytical/detailed sound ...sort of increasing the dimensions of the music to better 3D effects. However, too much details tend to result in a forward and bright sound, triggering negative reactions.

Just like Chinese believe in yin and yang, a mixture of 1-cent and 5-cent coins will balance their effects and bring out the best of their properties.

The areas of improvement are easily discernible owing to having a quieter background or lower noise floor to being with. Better imaging with my wooden cones are similary achieved by these coins as they are based on the same principal of resonance.

Note:

A) Do not use thick double side tape as this reduces interaction between surface of gear and coin.

cool.gif All tweaks must be applied progressively. Hence, I suggest starting from the power cords to cdp/headamp chassis and finally to cans. This way U can decide where/when to stop or refine the tweaking process to your satisfaction.

Happy experimenting and let me know of your feedback. happy.gif

Edited by Mackie

I'm definitely going to try this tweak on the 7506 & my CDP maybe even the DAC. Have to 'jolok' that piggy bank again.

One question though, how to improve midrange? Use which coin? You only mentione the two extremes only. Or should I just try 1st!

As you can see, I managed to find Singapore 1 cent coins but only found a Bruneian 5 cent coin.

DSCF0001.jpg

Hi mackie, is the coin tweak better than say, putting the wooden cone on the moving part.

Which one will give more dramatic improvement?

Naz, the coin tweaks are meant to improve most of the audio spectrum and not to target any specific areas. Hence, impact on the mid range is the greatest IMO. I've not heard the sound of Brunei 5-cent and so I can't comment.

I've edited this thread with my recommended steps. Take each step at a time for tuning purposes and to familiarize with the changed sound.

Guyferd, I can't say whether the coin or wooden tweaks sound better. Both have different signatures. I employ a combination of both on my speakers rig. Since U don't have the cones in mention, try out the coin tweaks. If U're preparing to get the cones, I prefer to employ them on the cans as they have the greatest effect on the overall sound....provided your source-amp link is tweaked properly of course.

Basically the coins becomes focal point where vibrations along the surface of the component would converge unto the coins? I would think so.

Similar commercial products would be Totem Beaks

so what are your finding guys?

for those who've tried the coin tweaks?

thanks sipher! i want to understand the logic behind it too.

no problem wink.gif

i had asked mackie to tweak my cdp during the meet.

he placed a 1-cent coin inside the cd-tray and 1 5-cent coin at the power plug.

before he did the tweak, i told him that i felt that my CDP is abit bright.

after he's done, i take a listen and found that the bass is more punchy and abit more details coming out of the CDP. no more brightness anymore and i love the way it sounds. the highs are still nice.

after the meet, i tried to put more coins in various places but couldnt hear any differences anymore. sighz....

maybe my cans arent revealing enough. i had wanted to make the CDP produce more details. hehe

well sipher did you try removing all the coin tweak and listened to see if there really is a difference.

First I thought I also heard the difference. Then when I removed, sadly I couldn't. Perhaps we can help you with the blind test also cool.gif

Personally I would tend to think that the change in the sonic behaviour comes more from the coins blocking the airflow into the cans, (much like when we cup the outside of our headphones) rather than from absorbing vibrations/resonance.

I'd be more convinced if the coins/cones makes a difference on a closed-design headphones.. wink.gif

As for coins on speakers/components.. *shrug* yeah I do sometimes leave my loose change on my speakers, but all I get is more distortion, in the form of wife naggings... ohmy.gif

Edited by erickoh

Hey guys, I do agree tweaking with coins works in certain aspect. But I heard another school of believers that claim that using denser and more exotic materials works, and this hobbyist uses 1-ounce Maple leaf gold coin (multiple somemore) instead of using the humble 1 or 5 cents coins. Imagine the tweat will cost more than the equipment being used. blink.gif

I tried this tweak on my CDP. I cleaned up my CD initially as there was alot of junk on top of it. After the clean up I listened to it. It sounded less constrained like more open. I thought it was psychological due to the clean up.

First the 5 cent coins on the plugs. It made it sound warmer, replaced it with 1 cent coin & the mids also sounded warmer but harshness was added.

Finally put 4 1 cent coins on each corner of the CDP & 1 5 cent coin in the center. Boy was I dissapointed with the sound. The harshness was too much for me to bear. It made the sound worse like something is wrong with my CDP. After removing the coins it went back to normal. Tried it on my DAC & it was similar but to a lesser degree.

This is truly strange until I realised that my CDP's case is made out of heavy extruded aluminium with some reverse ribs on the top. The side looks like cast hammerite metal. This CDP is heavy I think over 5kgs.

I might want to revisit the coin tweak again as I want to make sure that the conditions at that time was not condusive to my listening state of mind. Which has happened before.

Any thoughts?