Mackie

Coin Tweaks

Naz, in this case, U'll need to try the ways of the extreme aka my tweaks on the cd tray and plugs in combination that was done on Sipher and Varian's cdps. There's no written rule how the tweaks should be performed as it's subjected to your sound preference and the sonic character of your cdp.

This combo makes very obvious changes to the final sound (to me, it is) and no other coin tweaks need to be performed once this is done as Sipher has already discovered.

To extract more details but avoid brightness if your cdp is prone to this, stick 5-cent coin on plug and 1-ct coin on the frontal inside of cd tray.

To reduce digital edginess or brightness without a significant drop in details, try:

> 5-ct coin on plug, two 1-ct coins inside the cd tray - one on each side

> leave the plug alone and stick one 1-ct coin on tray

> 1-ct coin on plug and 5-ct coin inside tray.

Happy tweaking.

Edited by Mackie

blues, i did try to remove all the coins and the effects of the coins are gone.

no more punchy bass and abit less detailed.

the bass effect is noticeable, the detail part is also noticeable but subtle.

Mackie, do u agree?

Alright..

I don't know but I did apply the coin tweaks inside the cd tray. I liked the sound better before it was unmodded because 1 c made it sounds more dead while having 5 c and 1 c made a sort of unnatural sound which is a bit different from my marantz's signature. So I decided to do away without any tweaks in the end. wink.gif

Ermm... this might sound a silly question, where excatly do I place the coins inside the CD tray? Underneath or on the top of the tray looks like no room on the front inside of the tray.

Naz, on top of cd tray.......... looking at the tray from top elevation, U'll see a sunken circular space where the cd sits. As the tray is square, U'll see so-called triangular excess space on top L/R (inner area) and bottom L/R (outer or nearest to front panel). Stick the coin at the latter L or R. I hope this explaination helps.

Edited by Mackie

blues, i did try to remove all the coins and the effects of the coins are gone.

no more punchy bass and abit less detailed.

the bass effect is noticeable, the detail part is also noticeable but subtle.

Mackie, do u agree?

It's quite easy for me to tweak varian's NAD and your 63KI because the effects are rather obvious. It's not so easy for Blue's 6000ose because it has different sonic characteristics to your cdp.

As in all tweaks, some work on certain cdps but not on others and degree of improvement varies too.

Blue, U'll need my plug. PM me on this and also the power cord.

Edited by Mackie

Damn I got a bad case of the 'stupids' tonight.

Here's a photo (a bad one infact, I was in a hurry & the camera's battery was running out). The top part of the tray i.e. Left & right front edge is not recessed i.e. flush if I put the coin there it will hit (worse still jam the tray) the player when it retracts back. Any other place to put it on? Only other place I can think of is on the 3" CD recess.

DSCF0002.JPG

Blue, U'll need my plug. PM me on this and also the power cord.

aaah.. the plug. hehe

blues, have u 'heard' the plug yet?

not extensively. I listened on mackie's MF during the meet but it was too noisy to conclude anything.

Will ask mackie if he wants to lend me for a few days biggrin.gif

n@z, i think it is the place at the bottom right at roughly the point the piece of wire? is sticking out. not the place where the cd sits itself.

N@Z has already said that by placing the coin at the bottom right, the cd tray will not retract properly

Thanks sipher, looks like this mod might elude me unless Mackie comes up with something else for me.

No go on the cd tray Naz. Try the plain vanilla coin tweak on the plug then. Either a 1-ct or 5-ct, never both or double of each.