Sign in to follow this  
xeonster

Tracks/Songs for Auditioning HeadPhones

these are generally the tracks i use whenever i audition earphones/headphones/speakers/hifi setups...

Mids/vocals

Amanda McBroom - Crimes of the heart, Ghost in this house, Baby (beatbox)

Alison Kraus & Union Station -> variety of tracks, silky voice, picked acoustic guitar melodies, mandolin + double bass

Carole King - variety of tracks

Pure Digital music

Don dorsey - rage over a lost penny, moonlight sonata 3rd movement (pure synthesizer music, digitally produced pure sound, no microphone usage)

Electronic music + vocal

Pole folder - abrasions (clean low pulsating bass notes, good test for positioning of speakers)

pole folder - fall in violet (clean vocals with blend of heavy background electronic beats/bass, often easily muddied if speakers dont represent them well)

piano dynamics

opus 4.1 - track 4, steinway D piano, played heavily, helps to keep un-desired piano-clanginess in check

timbre & stage

opus 4.1 - track 1, wind ensemble in a church, airy and space filling

hugo records - great gate at kiev (nearly killed a pair of speakers with the dynamics of this song.. tweeter started buzzing :/)

hugo records - broken zither string (this guy was playing a zither during recording, halfway, string snapped, and the string's wooden bridge dropped)

Percussion

Sheffield labs - Percussion test disc, track 2 -> electric bass + percussion, to determine distinction when bass guitar plays at a pitch very close to percussion bass drum

track 5,6, pure percussion recording on specially selected drumsets.. most earphones failed me at track 5 and 6, due to the inability to achieve the desired bass drum depth

anyone mind sharing what they use to audition as well?

need to add to my collection laugh.gif

thanks

Edited by xeonster

where can you get all these tracks btw?

bought most of them in cd form..

nowadaes cd shops dont carry much audiophile recordings anymore..

the only recent one i saw was as united square basement near the escalator