Sign in to follow this  
papaya86

anyone of you familiar with Dave Brubeck's jazz?

recently i heard Dave Brubeck's "take five" and i fell in love with it instantly. Previously i hated Jazz to the core, couldnt accept this kind of music at all. but this song totally got me interested in Jazz. Those familiar with Jazz or Dave Brubeck in particular, any recommendations? isit safe to say most of brubeck's works are similar to take 5?

Those boys are "Legends". Can't go wrong with them. I think of all, "Take Five" should be the best and also happens to be my favourite for their works. You can try "Waltz for Debby" & the "Live in Carnegie Hall". Carnegie Hall is woooooooo so good.

All I have to say is Buena Vista Social Club smoke.gif Try it, you'll like it.

Maybe u can try some Duke Ellington? Excellent stuff. "Festival session" gets my nod.

You can try Bill Evans. BTW Waltz for Debby is an album by Bill Evans Trio. Highly recommended together with Sunday at the Village Vanguard which is recorded together.

Stan Getz Jazz Samba is good stuff also.

I think the style of jazz you like is Cool Jazz.

i had a listen to miles davis's funny valentine, its quite a weird piece. the mood changes abruptly, similar to progressive rock/metal, like what dream theater does. i only like the sweet piano parts, miles davis's trumpet solos are pretty depressing to listen to. man if someone was suicidal, this would definately finish the job

Edited by papaya86

oh yah, i also came across miles davis's "b*tches brew", and i had a chance to listen to it at a cd shop. thats what i call crazy music man. i wouldnt even call it music, so weird man.

Edited by papaya86

Antonio Carlos Jobim is the father of bossanova, he's good!!!

Well if you know Girl from Ipanema, you should know him, he wrote the song.

I particularly like this album: Twist of Jobim by various artist including Lee Ritenour, Al Jarreau and Herbie Hancock. It sort of a tribute album to Jobim with a touch of modern jazz.

You want old school Jazz and Sax, don't you? Seek out this album on Verve label, Ballad by John Coltrane. I guarantee you won't regret it.