Sign in to follow this  
neutralzz

Just got my DIY-Earmax clone via post!

user posted image

shipped on approx 2 saturdays back and its here! approximately 11 days for arrival via china post.

came in a huge paper box filled with 80% paper shreddings and the amp snuggly in the middle

there was also some spongey material inside the amp to cushion the tubes and everything.. and here's a picture of the innards

user posted image

i m currently letting the amp to warm up and run in before posting a review. initial impressions, it goes well with my beyer dt 880s, bass is punchy and clean.

looks cool. First glance thought it's PCB, but have a closer look, it's point to point soldering.. WOW... wub.gif

wonder how it sounds

user posted image

user posted image

Almost 12 hours of operation right now..

first few hours of listening, the sound seems to have quite some emphasis on the highs, i was wondering whether my beyers had morphed into grados <-- before i increased the resistance

with increasing operation, the sound is increasingly smoother, but the amp is probably far from being run-in

The amp benefits from increasing the output resistance, i used the level attenuator which came with my shures on the output, put it to close to only 10% vol (i.e. high resistance) and cranked the amp vol up.

Sound mellowed a lot with this increase in resistance, bass is tighter and punchy, it seems as though the highs have been tamed.

Listening to Ayako Hosokawa, Josh Groban, Alessandro Safina, the airyness is quite notable, on both dt 880s and e4cs, the sound is suprisingly very intimate with the e4cs, vocals were very enjoyable with it.. it seems that i might be listening more to my IEMs than my open-air headphones.. but its probably too early to pass a judgement right now.

i will probably be hunting for some cello music soon.. heard some nuances of strings in some tracks.. and the strings were warm sounding

if i may ask where did you get this amp from? i am looking to get an earmax or a clone.. thanks!

if i may ask where did you get this amp from? i am looking to get an earmax or a clone.. thanks!

you can pm digi01 in this forums

he built it.

i'm still running the amp in.. to date it still sounds better with IEMs as compared to beyers/grados