max007007

Beyerdynamic DT880 enquires

Hi guys,

thinking of getting a new Beyerdynamic DT 880.

anyone knows where can get the best deal? how much will that be?

is it wise to purchase such 3 yrs old model?

Edited by max007007

Perhaps you can ask Mackie about the pricing. Anyway the merits of a set of cans should not be judged based on the age of its design. FWIW, some of the best cans have been around for decades.

Perhaps you can ask Mackie about the pricing. Anyway the merits of a set of cans should not be judged based on the age of its design. FWIW, some of the best cans have been around for decades.

Thks for the prompt response to my enquiry biggrin.gif

Will look for Mackie for help.

Of cos, if anyone happens to know the current market pricing, pls post it here too.

thks.

Edited by max007007

One more thing, make sure you have a headamp ready to drive cans of such calibre. Otherwise you will be utterly disappointed.

One more thing, make sure you have a headamp ready to drive cans of such calibre. Otherwise you will be utterly disappointed.

just ordered a portable headamp from digi01.

thks for the gd deal.

Does the old model of DT880 sound the same as the newer one?

me confused.

The following new or old?

user posted image

Edited by max007007

Does the old model of DT880 sound the same as the newer one?

me confused.

The following new or old?

user posted image

this is the old one, but its probably one of the most widely acclaimed headphones around for its price.. laugh.gif

Basically there are 3 models of DT880 so far. According to Mackie, the first DT880 is from 1980s. At around 2002, Beyerdynamic came out with the newer model which is shown at the picture above. The latest one, releasing in a few months time, comes with with a redesign of cosmetics though I'm not sure about the drivers...

Basically there are 3 models of DT880 so far. According to Mackie, the first DT880 is from 1980s. At around 2002, Beyerdynamic came out with the newer model which is shown at the picture above. The latest one, releasing in a few months time, comes with with a redesign of cosmetics though I'm not sure about the drivers...

i get the idea, thks for the explaination.

I did make an enquiry with anything audio on the "new" range of DT770,880 & 990 and he explained it is plain face-lift, esp for dt770/990 (design not changed since ?) to give it a more modern look ie silver colour cup. Personally I am not sure, as I prefer the cold black look of my dt770pro wacko.gif I suspect that the cup of dt880 might be plastic (looks like that on picture) compared to the current aluminium grill right now.

Let's clear it up once and for all. The drivers haven't changed since 2002 and the only evolution we have seen so far are purely structure and aesthetics. In fact, the latest cosmetic lift does not bode well with me. The key being the headband. Those who own or seen DT770/880/990 will understand. However, I do like the flanged look on the cups of the new DT990 though. As for DT880, I think the latest face lift tends to look trendy but not as "professional and serious" of the older look.

I would like to take this opportunity to announce that Anything Audio has decided to offer DT880 (with revised straight cable instead of coiled) at a special price of S$399 nett to all forum members from now till the run-up to our forum meet, while stocks last. However, interested buyers are required to print their profile pages to qualify for this discount.

Edited by Mackie