N@Z

Portable amps

Here's an interesting article about 24V, 32V Portable amps courtesy of head-fi.

Mat, LTUCCI1924's reference to the Gilmore with enclosure the size of an iPod might interest you.

Edited by N@Z

Saw you here too. So speculatively the PPA would be around US$250 in basic form? How about trying the gilmore version?

I don' think the board is ready yet.

Who makes them?

By Dr. Gilmore of course. $250 is a rough estimate for the full component according to spec.

I built clone less than S$100.

eh i don't think prof Kevin Gilmore designed any of these portable amps. PPA or the gilmore.

PPA is by the makers of meta42 ie morsel, tangent and ppl.

the other amp is by antness which is currently nameless and not designed by kevin gilmore.

Conflicting info there Evil. Antness builds the Gilmore he didn't design it. He may have refined it into the present version though.

PPA's details are in the links.

well, LTUCCI1924 referred to the amp as gilmore portable but since it is currently nameless, i have to carry on naming it the gilmore.

antness currently has several iterations of the gilmore amp or known as kevin gilmore dynamic class A / KGCA found in V2, V2SE, lite etc. the design is by gilmore.

on the other hand, antness has a lower end portable amp not designed by gilmore but often mistakenly described as a portable gilmore amp. this portable amp IS more or less designed by antness. quote from antness forum:

I have no name

Our upcoming battery-powered portable headphone amp based on a Jung multi-loop design. An AC adapter will also be available.

hope i cleared up the confusion over the gilmore names.

Sorry my bad you're talking about the portable Gilmore.

Mat, if the Plainviews doesn't work out see the post made by MrPD in the above mentioned link, scroll 1/2 way down. He made a battery pack out of the lantern batteries & they seem to last very very long (6 months!). This is something I would like to try out with mine since I don't really require ultimate portablilty very much.

Well, if you intend to carry it all in you backpack... the lunch box trick seems a neat idea happy.gif something I can tote about in the house.

Mat, if the Plainviews doesn't work out see the post made by MrPD in the above mentioned link, scroll 1/2 way down. He made a battery pack out of the lantern batteries & they seem to last very very long (6 months!). This is something I would like to try out with mine since I don't really require ultimate portablilty very much.

If portability is not impt,you can try using Seal Lead Acid battery(SLA). I'm using those for my Meta for 24V supply.

THe charger for SLA can be had for less than $50. One charge can last almost forever. Been using for about 3 months, still going strong.