Sign in to follow this  
papaya86

i'd like touch on the topic "cd pressings"

papaya!!!!!!!!

There are alot of original pressings of the music u like! Reissues even!

Costly, but well worth the money. Bought a Hendrix LP that day, live conert, the recording is crazily good, no joke... laugh.gif

why not get into vinyl whistling.gif

which concert? the LA forum is one of the best i heard from him, live at berkely is also good. you listened before his rendition of bob dylan's "like a rolling stone" ? i prefer his to dylan's original version. "like a rolling stone" to me can easily be ranked top 5 english songs, with stairway to heaven at the number one spot and hotel california being 3rd or 4th. My favourite song from hendrix has got to be 1983..(a merman I should turn to be), lyrically genius and overall structure of the song is damn solid, not to mention it has an unearthly kind of feeling. When i first heard that track, i had goosebumps all over. As he once said before "Im from Mars." .

Edited by papaya86

Ah....I bought Band of Gysps @ Fillmore East...

Havent heard "Like a rolling stone", i like that song but i dont like Dylan's voice...lol....

yeah dylan's voice is the worst in the entire history of music, but lyrically, hes really up there liao. your lp collection how big? wads ur turntable setup?

Er...LP collection ah...Not really alot la....

About 50-60 ish...

Table is a Lenco L75 ( 70's Idler drive table ) , Arm is Rega RB300, Cartridge is Audio Technica AT430E....

there are a few lps that are mind blowing in terms of sound quality, my friend demo'ed it to me using his 200 000 dollars genesis speakers, supertramp - crime of the century. if its the right pressing, that album is quite a killer, sonically and musically. I recently spent 100 over on the mobile fidelity cd release of that album, very good i must say, no regrets.

for audiophile cds that i own, i have a few to recommend.

pink floyd - the wall (c2k 36183) pressed in usa, not remastered (it only says mastered from analouge recording),

eagles - hell freezes over (jap pressed MVCG-196 2500yen, the best sounding live album i own)

teresa teng sacd collection one and two (made in germany, very clear vocals)

dire straits brothers in arms sacd (this one's a killer, the sound on money for nothing is unreal, germany release not the jvc one),

roger waters - pros and cons of hitchhiking (usa pressed but disc made in japan, the nude girl has her butt censored whereelse other presses, her butt's exposed),

roger waters - amused to death (usa pressed, this is one of the best, if not the best audiophile rock album i own. unfreakinbelievable sound)

eric clapton - unplugged (2500 yen jap pressed, very clear recording, 2nd best live album i own)

queen - greatest hits 1,2,3 (jap pressed 2500yen, other than amused to death, i guess these three rank 2,3,4 in terms of sound quality. unbelievably clear with a black background .)

Very interesting collection, papaya86. I'm interested in quite a few of the abovementioned CDs. Where did you acquire those pressings?

half of them from ebay, some from friends, a few from shops.

pink floyd the wall c2k 36183, this isn't hard to find, you can find a copy off ebay at around 16-20usd, my friend gave it to me and i later found out on steve hoffmans board that this pressing is considered the holy grail for "the wall", surpassing the crazily priced mobile fidelity version, just note this issue writes "digitally mastered from analogue tapes, not REmastered, pressed in usa, has no release date other than the actual release of the record. i wont say this album sounds out of this world, but it has extremely low hiss, not too bad, loses out to hitchhiking and amused to death though.

pros and cons of hitchhiking - this album is sonically very well done. totally black background and extremly wide soundstage for the recording. definately an audiophile piece to me, even a crazy audiophile friend of mine uses this as a demo piece. musically, it isnt there, the concept is lame. but eric clapton plays guitar on this album, extremely tight guitar playing compared to his usual laidback slowhand style.

eagles hell freezes over - the sound quality on this live album is unreal. especially the first track "get over it" and hotel california, definately audiophile. i got this second hand from an old man. it should be pretty hard to get one copy of this since its long out of production. you can try to get idfka to help (sorry idfka, haha), hes in japan. i asked him to help me seek out a specific pressing for dsotm. musically and sonically a masterpiece imo.

teresa teng - collection 1 and 2 sacd, this one is the made in germany one, not the one by jvc, i got it from new disc village, near 30 bucks a piece, but its worth it. the owner was kind enough to let me compare it with the jvc xrcd release, this one is definately better, lower background noise, clearer vocals, more life, but this one contains artifacts not found on the xrcd, different master tapes i guess.

dire straits sacd - this is the sacd version, not the jvc xrcd, i fully recommend this one, its a killer, musically, sonically and also price wise. its about 25 bucks. got it from new disc village as well. that place is pretty good, uncles pretty friendly as well. you can play it on any cd player. its not a full fledged sacd, but isnt a xrcd as well. *shrugs

roger waters amused to death - get this one, you wont regret it, good music, good concept, unreal sound. i got it brand new from my friend for 30 bucks, its banned in singapore, so i guess the only way is through ebay. get the 1992 usa pressed one, to my ears its already damn good. the best one is the sony gold disc though, but i guess to get that one, at least need 200 bucks.

i got a few off echoloft as well. its pretty hard to get these old jap presses brand new, all of em are out of print.

i would also recommend to you guys this album supertramp - crime of the century, its one of my favourite albums now, its a concept album. the bands pretty similar to pink floyd, very creative, more light hearted and poppish than pink floyd. As for pressing , i have no idea what to recommend as i only have the mobile fidelity release for it.

i have some jap presses for the band deep purple, kinda regretted gettin them, deep purple is the worst sounding band i have in my whole cabinet, they sound downright awful, sonically that is. i won't recommend going jap press for this band, but theres one particular pressing for "machine head" thats damn good sounding, they remastered it in 2000, a uk pressing 2 cd machine head, the first cd is the good sounding one, they redid all their songs, sound quality is pretty darn good compared to their original one, but the style of playing is different.

Edited by papaya86

Thanks for the detailed reply. Will certainly try scouring for some of these CDs, esp. Roger Waters, when I have more time and money on my hands. cool.gif

I just got myself the sony mastersound edition for pink floyd: wish you were here, the sound quality improvement is beyond words, the regular edition to me sounds like sh*t, now this release can be considered audiophile standards if one does not take background hiss and artifacts as non audiophile. those abnormalities are heriditary from the master tapes. and best of all, this is one one album i really like, all 5 tracks to me are classics from pink floyd. i totally recommend the mastersound edition for this if you like this album alot.

just wondering - are many of you confusing pressing origin with different mastering?

there are too many factors that contribute to the final product for cds - mastering engineers, master tapes, method of mastering

from my knowledge, west germany presses for cds are generally from 1st generation or early generation master tapes, thats why they sound good, and for the jap presses, its because the japs are willing to pay more to acquire better master tapes for mastering on cds, and the japs themselves are perfectionists, thus the better sound. All in all, the master tape is the most important, no matter how good the engineer is or how good the equipment used.

just wondering - are many of you confusing pressing origin with different mastering?

I think the distinction is clear but apparently both can actually make a difference, and hence discussion pertaining to both is relevant?

Guest joi-ful

For teens like me who dig into Chinese pop, we've no choice but to make do with the poor pressing. Errors are evident but sometimes, I wonder if it's due to the cans I'm using or the music quality of the cd.

zzz. noob here...