Sign in to follow this  
av98m

Cowboy Junkies: Early 21st Century Blues (HELP!!)

I bought a copy of the cowboy junkie's latest album Early 21st Century Blues from Borders recently. Redbook format, US pressing. The problem is, it refuses to play on my Rotel RCD991! ohmy.gif I thought the transport had finally gone kaput, but it could play every other cd I threw into it. Thinking it was a defective copy, I brought it with me to work today intending to go down to Borders to get an exchange or refund. Much to my horror, it plays perfectly fine on my el cheapo DVD player in the office! ohmy.gif

Has anyone else bought this album? This is the very first time something like this has happened to me. Could it be some hidden copy protection screwing things up? ohmy.gif

Edited by av98m

Don't worry, I have some original aluminium discs that work on a player but doesn't read at all in another. A perfect looking surface doesn't mean it is perfect. I suggest you do a swap for another set. Or you can burn a copy. headphone.gif

I'll exchange it for another copy and see what happens. Still find it strange that it'd work on a 99 dollar dvd player but not on my Rotel.

I ended up going back to Borders and asked for an exchange. They played my cd on their players and it worked just fine but I insisted that they exchange another copy of the same album for me. And guess what! My new copy works fine on my Rotel! Bizarre! Were the 1s and 0s arranged slightly differently on my "defective" copy? But it can't have been defective because it could work on a few different cd players and my dvd player, just not on my Rotel.

I realise some cdplayers do not like certain CDR dyes and that may be due to interaction between the laser and the disc (plastic surface, reflection layer) itself. Maybe standards for pressing cds are not as exacting as it should be.

I have discs that work only on conventional cdp not on computer cdroms and vice versa. Cdps that only accept certain media burned above a certain speed. Cdrs that don't work in philips transports. Rotel 991 also philips right? Newer and cheaper players also have improvements in reading CDRWs which have very low reflectivity so other aluminium disc might be no kick for them.

Just some of my views.

Well, now that I've been able to listen to the album from start to finish, I must say that this will be a worthwhile buy for fans of the Cowboy Junkies. This album is interesting in the sense that they do several covers in this one, of songs by Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, John Lennon etc. Don't worry, there is some original Michael Timmins material in the album as well. From the song selections, its pretty obvious that this is a war-protest album(but then again, the paintbrush strokes on the front cover forming a rough looking peace sign should have already clued one in). Early 21st Century Blues joins The Trinity Sessions and Lay It Down as my favourite Cowboy Junkies albums. headphone.gif

Edited by av98m

In the Time before Llamas totally blows away The Trinity Sessions.

Whilst the Trinity Sessions may have the rawness of the early CJ, and the lovely church acoustic, In the Time Before Llamas has CJ at their best in a intimate acoustic setting, beautifully recorded by BBC.

Bought it a gramaphone, but have not seen it on the shelves of late.

IMO, this is the best Cowboy Junkies album I own (and yep, I have them all, cept this new one....haven't had time to go down and buy wink.gif )

user posted image

Amazon Link

Your right! I totally forgot about this. Dug it up from some dark corner of my cd cabinet and listened to it again. Good stuff! biggrin.gif

Do you like their studio albums?

Edited by av98m

Your right! I totally forgot about this. Dug it up from some dark corner of my cd cabinet and listened to it again. Good stuff! biggrin.gif

Do you like their studio albums?

I love their old stuff, but not so much their new stuff.

I found this DVD on gramaphone's shelves a while or two back. It was the only copy, so of course I bought it. On the DVD, there is this interview with a kinda of radio/acoustic type set which is pretty awesome.

user posted image

link from here

Finally bought it.

Have to say, I'm quite disappointed.

The laugh intro cool. scared the daylights out of my gf. freaked her out massively.

but I hate the rap track. I can't believe it. what horrible rap as well.euck!

no apologies necessary. I would've bought it anyway. When I like a band, I tend to buy all their albums.

I do like their rendition of ONE. sound pretty fabulous.

btw, your siggy...the fella only paid 3k.