Sign in to follow this  
xchagg

'Upgraded' M-Audio Transit

The Transit is quite decent if most of your music is on a computer and can't afford a proper DAC heh.

So one day hand itchy, (and after reading a post on head-fi) and decided to mod the Transit lol.

I replaced the 2 cheapo output caps with NX 22uF BG caps, and the power capacitor with a 220uF BG STD.

Well the sound hmmm, much more detail coming through, less muddling of different instruments and voices (better seperation?). In all a noticeable improvement. The caps are brand new, so hopefully they get even better with time, but I'm already satisfied laugh.gif

Just a few questions though, my soldering skills are still lousy, so I had some problems and had to improvise a bit.

1. The leads for the Black Gate 220uF were too big to go through the holes, so I put 2 blobs of solder on the pads, positioned the capacitor, than reheated the solder blobs and added a bit more so that the cap would 'stick'. Essentially the cap leads are just connected via solder to the pads on the top of the board as they couldn't fit through the hole. Will this cause any major problems?

2. More concerned about this one: I had some problems replacing the new output cap on the top left corner. Didn't have something thin enough to poke through the holes, so they were slightly blocked. I somehow managed to stuff the capacitor leads partially in, then added more solder on the other side of the board. The leads didn't go all the way through, so they're kind of stuck in the middle of the board. The cap couldn't be pulled out using pliers either. Is there a chance a proper connection wasn't made and that pad is sort of shorted?

The Transit is working properly, but I'm afraid if the cap is not properly seated and not doing it's job, than the DC offset might damage something.

Some Pics:

Original Board:

user posted image

Butchered Board:

user posted image

Close up of output caps on lineout:

user posted image

New Big Power Cap (Yum!):

user posted image

Edited by xchagg

ugh, more expenditures lol.

I'm overseas studying, so having to rebuy all the DIY equipment is not . . . appealing haha. Though yup, forgot the easiest way to test is with a multimeter doh.

And yup I seem to have a liking for big caps in small places w00t.gif Stuffed 2 BG 330uFs into a CMOY2 lol. One cap is enough to cover the entire middle row of resistors hehe. Though someone barely managed to stuff a 470uF BG cap into the Transit case, I didn't want to take that chance and went for a smaller cap this time.

Hahah, yes you can. It was discussed in on headfi in fact, but the opamp needs to be able to run on 3.3V from the regulator, which limits your opamp choices severely.

And my solder skills aren't good enough for SOIC parts. But somone else who has a Transit, better soldering skills, and itchy hands can do it hehe.