Sign in to follow this  
matbon0013

Portable CD Player

Spinning off from the D-777 thread which is arriving next week yeah.gif

Posts your PCDP's make and model and how long have you had them for, if you can describe any story attached to it (e.g. sentiments, memories) even better. Also your dream machine for the future.

Happy posting!!

Mine's the Panasonic SL-CT570! Got it for eating a Maxibon in under 5 secs! What memories..... sleep.gif

ok my first discman.

sony d345: bought in 95. it is 1 model below the d777 at that time. i remembered salivating over the d777 over its sleek look but its too expensive! S$400+ at that time i think. all i remembered was this discman worked fine for half a year before it starting skipping in the first 15 secs of track 1. later on it skipped at the end too. off it went for repairs (under warranty). about few months later, it had another problem again. this time, the battery compartment didn't like my batteries and only worked off AC power. i sent it for repairs again, this time with no warranty, and it costs too much i think, so it ended up not repaired. i gave it to my little cousin with the AC ps and didn't hear from it ever again.

sony d805: this was bought in 97. again it was 1 model below e905 which is the replacement model of d777. i was again salivating but couldn't afford to bring it home. this work fine for 2 months and started skipping randomly. i took good care of it, always in pouch and not a single scratch on it. off it went for repairs. and so it was fine doing its duty until a few months later when it refused to work after pressing on the main buttons and remote. it was out of warranty and i refused to pay $160 for replacement of the motherboard. and so i kept in the drawer/dungeon for many years and remained discmanless for many years to come.

i converted to portable mdps in 2000, a Sharp after the trauma over sony products.

skip forward to year 2002 when i failed to secure a sony d905 discman. it was that time when i discovered cash convertors and went there frequently since it was near my camp. over a period of few months, i acquired several pcdp which consists of technics and panasonics. i decided to go for them because my sister bought a technics discman at the same time i had my d345 and is still working fine. over at cash convertors, i found that sony discmans were few in the collection at cash convertors although it was by far the most common brand of pcdp sold. from that on, i concluded that sony discman are not really reliable.

recently, i opened up all the pcdp players that i have and found that sony discman, the d805 was lacking internally. the pcb was very small, about half the size of the case and wasn't secured properly. as a result, the pcb could flip around in the case when moved. i think that was the reason for its short life. 4 of my technics/panasonic fared better. they had full size pcbs and were protected by rubber cushions at the bottom to secure it.

that was my experience with pcdps and i found that sony discman are not reliable although it may have sonic advantages. i wanted to acquire one of those legendary sony discman to compare against the other brands since sony seems to be the more popular ones on headfi.

Edited by evil-zen

Iriver slim-x . Bought by my uncle for me, early last year I think. It's my first and only discman. Before this I had an aiwa walkman but had since sold to my friend due to extreme low usage(who would use walkman anyway tongue.gif)

my dream discman is still the d905/d900 for its sleeeeeek looks and great sound. possibly the pinnacle of sony discman in terms of looks and sound. a d777 can make do too!

1st discman: I don't remember. Has it been that long? All I can recall was it sounded average. Can't remember where I bought it or anything else for that matter! Must have been blocked out by my brain intentionally!

2nd discman: Technics, Still can't remember the exact model. It was alot slimmer than my first, sounded better a bit bright though. Comes with extra excessories for installation/use in a car. Bought in Spore, Changi airport I recall.

3rd discman: Sony PCDP you see in my signature below, bought in Mustafa Center. Never thought much of it since I was still an analog junky. It was bought more for tunes when travelling, I preferred Walkmans but since the development of Walkmans have stagnated & the good ones cost nearly as much as a PCDP (remember the titanium cased ones?) I though might as well give it a try since it was very slim, light & looked very well built. Thankfully it sounded quite good out of the Line-out. On hindsight I should have bought the EJ-1000 but the 925 is better value.

Want: My sis has always been into PCDPs she had so many iterations of Sony's I lost count. I think she still has that D-515 so might pop in some time to check. I asked her a couple of weeks back for it she said no way! LOL!

Maybe it might be worth it to have a look at Mustafa Center just in case they still have stock of the older PCDPs.

For those who need to see what the PCDPs look like Click Here

Be warned, the link is highly graphic intensive. So not recommended for people on dail-ups or slow connections unless you are very patient.

Edited by N@Z

Blacknight,

Stick with the Pana U have. It's a good one by PCDP standards. I would get a home CDP if I were you.

he he Rameish...i know....extremely light...mine's the Jap version as well...got optical out as well...

Rameish, what home cd player would you recommend? Budget maybe $400 to $600. Any suggestions for a good one?

BTW, should I switch on the equaliser settings or should I just off it and let my amp do the work?

Suggestions? (....is this OT?)

Edited by Blacknight

1st Discman: nomad jukebox 3

oh waits its not a discman w00t.gif

but I like it a lot anyways. Great lineout, powerful headphone out and packed with features.

No plans to buy another one soon unless they can make an equally good player with a much smaller form factor

... (who would use walkman anyway tongue.gif)

I should slap myself for missing your remark!

Who Guy? Me, I would if I can find any of the Sony DD models. It should give the run of the mill PCDPs a run for their money.