Sign in to follow this  
evil-zen

Grado and Freesystems wireless

had this idea to post it here again (is at headfi). seems like freesystem is a local company? very nice with the headphones looking like an Joe Grado headphones. anyone heard of it particularly Rameish since you are a grado fan and dealer?

http://www.freesystems.com.sg/

user posted image

That's an interesting point about the amp being the wireless unit rather than the headphones. Makes it less bulky & you can use your favourite Grados with it. Would be good if they sold the transmitter/receiver seperately of the cans.

i'm skeptical about wireless equipment. somehow, they just don't work as good as wired stuff. take my Logitech mouse for example. the highest-end MX700 just lags like crap rolleyes.gif

Most of the cheapo ones are but I'd try myself before passing a guilty judgement.

hence, I used the word "skeptical" instead of something more definitive in my original post smile.gif

Well...let's see if Rameish would take the bite and get it...maybe then we can all go to his house to check it out! laugh.gif

Hmmm ... I think it's quite a good idea that they are using the amp as the wireless receiver and the amp for the headphones. This way, if they can just get the digital signal out of the CD player, then you can transmit the original digital signal to the remote amp for decoding and D/A conversion. This would probably ensure that the original signal gets to the remote set. Then the quality depends on D/A converter and the amp itself.

The problem with other wireless systems is that they take the analog signal out of the CD player, then do a A/D conversion before transmitting to the headphones. So the what's cramped into the headphones is the D/A converter, and then a tiny amp to drive the headphones. The whole chain would probably include lots of degradation due to the multiple conversions, and low quality conversions. So lots of loss right there.

Edited by bummer

that thing costs $4k???!!! blink.gif

Well, I guess I could forgo the whole wireless bit. Was just commenting from a systems point of view earlier biggrin.gif

THat's way too much money for the convenience of no wires.

I calculated yesterday and $4k is exactly the amount i need to get me parts to build a pair of open baffle link witzed designed Orion with active crossovers, 6 channel amplfication. This plus change for a nice lounge chair to enjoy the speakers with...

user posted image

Yes yes it'll get me Grado RS1 headphone.gif with a good headamp with spare change for a decent stereo but to me, these speakers rule party.gif

If you can find the Sony MDR-R10 at the cheapest US$2,500 price maybe but you looking at a max of US$4,000 so the Freesystem package is better value at it's intended purpose.