Blues

Beyerdynamic DT880 impression!!

My impression..

this is much more comfortable than my dt770 wahahha... hold on. It's the same velour right? how come it feels softer? hm.. interesting laugh.gif

The top padding is a lil stiff/hard though.. compared to my 770. I probably can just switch them later hehe..

Sound...

yeah out of the box it sounds pretty much sibilant and grainy with harsh highs. The bass is there but not much kick yet..

Also .. hm.. the soundstage is very large. That's the first that comes into my mind. The rest are pretty much ordinary. Not too impressed.. but ah.. I think listening is always best to be done during the night. I don't know why but for some reason or another I don't feel like listening to music during the day. Even when I am listening to good equipments they don't sound like good to me. Psychological factor? I don't know.

I will try and post a few more impression here and there biggrin.gif

Also, hey for those dt880's owners from the power buy.. don't just lurk in the dark corner of sgh. Come and post your impression.. NOW! tongue.gif

upon further listening, I notice that string instruments sound particularly realistic on the beyers. The acoustic guitar plucking sounds very sweet.. and has the metallic touch , but doesn't sound sharp/fatiguing at all. In fact the sound is quite syrupy and smooth...

As I am listening to l'arc~en~ciel - flower , the harmonica sounded particularly pleasant and sweet. I suspect the beyer accentuate on this region.. is it highs? I don't know but they sound very very nice. It has the final sparkle that makes all these instruments sound realistic. maybe this is what some say the 'grit' ?

I will post more pictures of the can.. I know you all have seen it on the net.. sleep.gif

oh wait what about the pic of them on the head? biggrin.gif

If U have a cd with double bass and when the cans are fully run-in, U can hear the instrument growl and the resonance within. I recommend 100 hours of buring in of the 880s. Since U have employed the coin tweaks on your cdp, lets take things further.

If U wish to her more details and sparkle, which I think U don't need with the CD6000ose, stick a 5-cent coin on each side of the cups - maybe just above the brand name for aesthetics reason.

If U wish to draw hear better bass slam and also draw the sound out of a quieter background, use 1-cent coins instead. If U couldn't decide between the two, place both.

Conduct these experiments after the burn-in period to achieve better accuracy in judgement. For the fun of it, do it tonight and I look forward to your opinions. kicking.gif

got mine at the same time as guyferd. kicking.gif

my sis was using my cdp so i decided to connect the dt880 to the computer first (onboard 24bit sound) to get a quick impression - was so excited, couldnt wait liao. innocent.gif

but somehow the sound was.. wrong.

alamak, no wonder, equaliser was on. after restoring balance to normal flatline, gosh.

very large soundstage, that was the first thing i noticed. diana krall seemed to be singin in front of me. her voice was crystal clear and luscious. heard none of the sibilants that guyferd pointed out on jazz tracks but some did present themselves during some 'heavy' songs (disturbed). bass was -clear- and deep but lacking punch, that was the second thing i noticed.

will post more impressions as i go along.

but whatever it is, must thank mackie for getting these cans for us as such a special price. biggrin.gif

the velour pads are large and quite stiff. somehow they feel they are stuffed with paper mache. but they are very comfortable. you hardly feel the cans on your head.

Photos time!!!

Beyer dt880's box!!

post-2-1055933229.jpg

Edited by Guyferd

Beyer DT880 in the aluminium case

post-2-1055933257.jpg

Edited by Guyferd

OHH!! what is this thing doing in here?

hehee.. can't help it but to show the pic of the corda ha-1 since it was missing the last time I did review.

uh ok.. and what about the bear? well.. they are cute and I love them biggrin.giflol.giflol.gif !!

post-2-1055923024.jpg

Wah...haven't run in yet and you have so much to say alredi....must really give your 2 cents when it is fully run in OK??

aiyah must say first impression mahh

then when fully burned in then I vs other cans..

hahaha but then again .. *looks at hands.. there are only koss ksc-35 and the beyer* don't tell me you want to compare the two? tongue.gif

hehe.. maybe I will bring it to the meet and compare to the other phones. But I doubt if it will be fully burned in by then.

muaahhaha

sorry abt that boss!! tongue.gif

I actually took portrait because it can capture the whole thing as opposed to landscape. But then I forgot to rotate..

hehehe.... dry.gif

you can edit your post and reupload the pic yknow wink.gif

anyway, congrats on your new acquisition. yeah.gif