Sign in to follow this  
Futura

How to determine line out from iPod?

Greetings,

I bought a universal dock and planned to use the line out from the dock and pair with class ab amp. To my surprise, I still can control the volume from iPod itself. Is this normal? Ain't the line out bypass the preamp in iPod and the volume can only be controlled by headphone amp? unsure.gif

edited: title changed to line out instead of true line out.

rgds

Darren.

Edited by Futura

I don't own a universal ipod dock but i believe it's not possible yet to get a true line out from the ipod from what i've read so far. I own a DIY line out dock for my 4G ipod and although it disables the volume control, i can still toggle the EQ functions. Thus it is not a true line out but the output signal is seriously much cleaner from the line out dock as opposed to the headphone out of the ipod. smile.gif

www.redwineaudio.com

see the imod

i specifically sold my x5l for an ipod to get this done.

arriving in 2 weeks!!

I don't own a universal ipod dock but i believe it's not possible yet to get a true line out from the ipod from what i've read so far. I own a DIY line out dock for my 4G ipod and although it disables the volume control, i can still toggle the EQ functions. Thus it is not a true line out but the output signal is seriously much cleaner from the line out dock as opposed to the headphone out of the ipod. smile.gif

EQ on ipod is done digitally, so the line out taken off the dock is certainly a line-out, after EQ-ed by the DSP inside ipod

This matter has been discussed in head-fi forum

as of the ipod universal dock, I dont have that either. What I do have is the old dock (4G and 3G), that dock doesnt let ipod to control the volume when taking the signal off the line out

I have a Sendstation Pocketdock, it doesnt let my iPod control the volume either. OMG looks like I got a dock with headphone out instead of line out no.gif