Sign in to follow this  
idkfa

Original CD Vs Backup CD Showdown!

This is a good article on making good CD copies.

http://www.soundstageav.com/audiovideotrends/20050415.htm

After reading the article, my interest was piqued and I applied parallel power filtering to my PC, installed ferrite clamps on the power cord and the cable from the power supply to the Yamaha CD-RW F-1 drive. Both the CDRW drive and the PC power supply are covered with Stillpoint ERS cloth. CDs are ripped to the harddisk with EAC, and then burned to the CD with Nero.

I do find that CD-R copies produced this way do result in a tangible improvement in the sound quality, mainly to the focus and depth. These conclusions were derived from my own testing as well as blind testing with a non-audiophile (my sister-in-law).

However, if the mastering quality is bad, the CD-R copy will also sound bad. Thats just the way it is.

Man, was that a freaking good morning read!! I already somewhat knew abt EAC's magical powers but now... It's like Gandalf the Grey transforming into Gandalf the White! lol. Such is the new age technological wonders of the 21st century. While I am not ready to jump right into some Zcables and dedicated power units, I will definitely give the "kiasu" EAC ripping method a most enthusiastic try! It's amazing how this silly thread of mine turned madness. Based on this thread alone, I already felt a 10% audiophile upgrade in me. lol. Thanks so much guys for the infos! Meanwhile I want more! More contributions please!

Everyone should go read that article! Here it goes again: http://www.soundstageav.com/audiovideotrends/20050415.htm

The CD-R media is also very important. MAM-A golds were used in the article. I don't think its available in SG, and ordering from overseas is pretty trouble. Also pretty expensive for the MAM-A gold. Otherwise a good try is the Melody Black Diamond, as recommended by a white paper from Genesis loudspeakers website, after trying many media. I've personally tried some black CDs from SMARTBUY. And it was no competition to the Melody Black Diamond. I also like the old Mitsubishi Blue Platinum Metal Azo blue dye CD which I found not as warm as the Melody Black Diamond. But its quite hard to find nowadays. They seem to prefer to use the Super Azo or Super Azo HG dyes nowadays.

The white paper from genesis loudspeakers gave the Melody Black Diamond which is sold at SLS ATF Multimedia (silvery label, 40x, gigastorage. dye 5 short strategy phthalocyanine) 5 stars together with 4 other CD-Rs (including the Melody Black Diamond cyanine dye which was what ATF multimedia first sold when I bought the first spindle of them, Infinity Black 40x, Mitsui Gold, and TDK Audio pro Musical Reference), whereas the Memorex one got a rating of 4 stars. Well in US its pretty hard to obtain the right Melody Black Diamond. But since in SG its so easy, I don't see why not headphone.gif