Sign in to follow this  
Neub Detat

Grattle, damaged driver and digital clipping

Can anyone tell me the difference between these three? My headphones seem to exhibit a slight fuzz sound at the farthest left of the soundstage (the AT W1000s) during some rather deep bass, some crashes and sometimes with human voices as well (especially noticeable in Christina Stuermer's CD).

How do I tell if it's grattle or a damaged driver or digital clipping? Are damaged drivers like those in the music stores where you have to fiddle with the volume control until you can get sound out of both sides? Or is it that I'm going crazy due to the lousy job of sound engineers??

Please help. Thanks mellow.gif

mm i think you can try using different headphones to test

if the fuzzy sound still persist, most likely it's not the headphone fault

no experience with grattle, but from what i read it refers to the rattling sound sometimes found in grado headphones

digital clipping will distort the sound very heavily, it'll sound unbearable (piercing high frequency noise) so i don't think this is the case. but small clippings might happen during spikes in the sound signal. it'll distort the sound a little, try lowering the gain setting.

usually drivers refer to the transducer parts of the headphone (i.e. the speaker) that convert the electricval signal and drive the soundwave to our ears. so if you wanna check for damaged headphone drivers try swapping headphones or the source. then you can locate the problem

the problem you mentioned that requires fiddling with the volume control is because the potentiometer (the volume control) is faulty (it has tracking problem)

hope this can help happy.gif