Sign in to follow this  
neutralzz

belden cables

was a lil cynical, but heard some rumours that the belden 89259 is cable which high end interconnects incorporate.. decided to try it out

bought 2m from LHS at $9 per metre, and 4 x high quality plugs at $4.50 each

did up a pair of i/c and was surprised.

comparing it against the other interconnects i had, hitachis/straightwire etc, this interconnect's quite impressive, very detailed, clean sounding. low freqs clarity was really good. much more mellow than my straightwires that had a bit more sibilance, and was more detailed/clearer than hitachis without losing the mellowness.

if one's looking for a good budget i/c, i would think this could be a very good choice wink.gif

Made a pair of double run 89259 (core only). I've read quite many instances of people using lousy plug, then complaining that it sounds bad. After changing plug sound improve a lot. Jon Risch said that plug is important. The plug I used was Neutrik ProFi ($22/pair).

The sound is warm, highs and lows a a bit rolled off, midbass a bit bloated. Midrange is laidback, giving a feeling of wide stage, but not so focused. The upper nasal range seems a wee bit boosted. It is said that the double run of twisted core gives slightly better details, highs and lows extension.

Pretty nice cable, but quite a bit coloured, and does not go well with very laidback systems. Not very transparent though. VERY bad idea as I/C if you already are using cross-connected 89259 speaker cable (I did that, sounds very 89259-coloured...)

If anything else, I made a pair of Belden 89207 (pseudo balance connection with floating shield, shield connected only to source side) with Neutrik Pro-Fi with better results. Its more transparent than 89259 but quite a fair bit. Its more balanced accross the whole range, rather neutral I would say, except it sounds a weeeeee bit dark, and a little lacking in airiness. The midrange sounds better than 89259, more body, because its not laidback. The low end seems to be opposite of 89259, the midbass seems missing, and the low bass, a bit bloated. If anything, it sounds a bit grainy in the highs, just a minor quirk. Otherwise the true winner at this price range (0.45m pair, cable 1m $9, plugs Neutrik ProFi $44, total $53. Don't save too much on plugs, the Pro Fis are built like a tank.)

saw the neutriks, but didnt want to spend so much on an experiment smile.gif i'm using a screw tighten-ed sort of rca plug.. you have to unscrew to loosen, plug in, and as you tighten the cylinder, it bites and forces the plug head to bite onto the rca point real tight.. cant remove without unscrewing smile.gif

probably when i'm freeier might do a a/b comparison, left and right diff rca cables, and use amp's output balance alternate between left and right and observe the differences. i used to do that for speaker cables. i observed the difference just now using an OTL hp amp so it would definitely be different when i try it on my main hifi setup