Sign in to follow this  
scheep

Classical cans shootout

From what I've read, they're both excellent for the type of music I listen to exclusively - baroque music of solo instruments, sonatas, quartets, concertos, symphonies, cantatas, and humongous choral works - and the occasional opera. Not everything is laidback - in fact, I have more pieces that are in your face than sedate. smile.gif

Which headphone has the bigger soundstage (headstage?), better detail (timbre and tone), and is less fatiguing? (I have the SR80, and boy they really hurt the ears after awhile.)

The 880s are about 50 bucks more - 50 bucks I don't mind splurging if it's worth it.

Edited by scheep

I like the K501 for classical, compared to a HD600. However i have not heard the880 so can't comment on how it sounds in comparsion.

Regards

CK

From what I've read, they're both excellent for the type of music I listen to exclusively - baroque music of solo instruments, sonatas, quartets, concertos, symphonies, cantatas, and humongous choral works - and the occasional opera. Not everything is laidback - in fact, I have more pieces that are in your face than sedate. smile.gif

Which headphone has the bigger soundstage (headstage?), better detail (timbre and tone), and is less fatiguing? (I have the SR80, and boy they really hurt the ears after awhile.)

The 880s are about 50 bucks more - 50 bucks I don't mind splurging if it's worth it.

My personal definition, you may think otherwise, please bear with me. biggrin.gif

Headstage in terms of length + depth + height? I give a 1 - 5 scale for each of the parameters.

880 L4 D3 H3

600 L3 D5 H4

501 L5 D4 H4

I don't know which is more superior, but it makes each of them particularly good at certain recordings such as close mike, jazz pub or concert hall.

I gotta make a correction. DT880 is not usually priced below S$400. The recent S$299 is a one-off sale and from what I heard, it's history. K501 is priced at S$250 at AA and if one finds the 2 cans in question to be similar, then K501 should offer better value.

Personally, I find K501 coloured in the mid range, somewhat lacking in bass relatively (and I have the headamps to move any cans except K1000) but musical with classical genre.

DT880 is somewhat recessed in the mid range but pretty neutral across the audio spectrum. It's takes a certain kinda attitude to appreciate its bass tonality over bass volume. Although mid range of K501 is coloured, it bodes well with vocals as a certain warmth is introduced.

If price is a factor, K501 is a worthy competitor for those who totally digs classical genre. If your repertoir is wider, DT880 is a better bet, especially if Jazz and New Age is also your kinda music.

Best of all, audition both using the same cdp and headamp at AA. Your conclusion is final, all others are merely suggestive.

how about audio technica woodies like the W1000 or the a900-ltd?

how do they work for classical?

Edited by hansel_ng