Sign in to follow this  
red_ryder

Crackling static-like sounds in some songs

I've been hearing a crackling sound over my Sharp MD-33s recently when playing music in my ipod. The mp3s are encoded at 192 kbps. The crackling sounds a bit like static, and sounds like the music is breaking up, especially in louder sections of songs. However, I don't get it with all songs. Initially I thought that maybe the earphones were spoilt from sweat (because I used them in the gym frequently), so I tested another set of generic earphones on the same song in the ipod. I still get the crackling sound, although less obvious. So does that mean that the fault is with the ipod?

the crackling sound only those certain songs, and that particular part?

might be clipping. can use software to analyze tongue.gif

or errrm re-encode, or just leave them be

ADD: maybe an encoding flaw too

Edited by squalle

I did further testing at home and these are the findings...

1. Copied the mp3 file to my pocket PC and used the sharp MD33 earphones to test. Same crackling sound at the same point of the song. So eliminated the ipod as a problem.

2. Listened to the mp3 on the PC with the MD33 earphones, same crackling sound at same point.

3. Listened to the CD where I ripped from on the PC, using the MD33, same crackling sound at same point.

So at this point I'm beginning to suspect the problem lies with either the earphones or the CD. I put the CD into my Denon player and listen to the song with my Beyers - NO CRACKLING SOUND! Unfortunately I don't have an adapter to test the MD33 on my amp or to test the beyers on the Ipod.

Did some further reading on other forums and some people have suggested that it could be an impedance mismatch between the ipod and the earphones. Anyone can shed some light on this? I don't know if I should buy a new set of earphones or not.

Edited by red_ryder

hmm....do you sync your ipod with itunes? why not remove all songs from the ipod then re-sync ...

Thread has been moved to portable audio. red ryder, would appreciate it if you could post in the relavent forum next time.

Sorry about that Rameish.