Sign in to follow this  
BryanLow

Comparing Spec on Ear piece.

what i mean by 3dB bandwidth in my earlier post is the conventional way of defining frequency response with the cutoff frequencies (high and low) where the amplitude or gain is 3dB down from the normal response

dB is Decibel, a measurement of acoustical loudness.

Here's a page that explains decibel rating in relation to everyday noises

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html

I think 0.5db is the purported common difference in loudness detectable by the layman. I've heard an audio engineer claim 0.25dB so YMMV. What's more important is, every 10dB increase = perceived double in loudness.

+3dB = doubling of power, +10dB also means 10 times more power required

Right, specs really don't tell anything about the headphone sound. There are too many analog parameters that are not measured. Basically electronics test instruments are not human ears, they are too limited as indication of sound quality.

I've got a related question: What's with this 3dB bandwidth thing? Is it a measure of output deviation?

Anyone can enlight?

Especially for bass, we want transducer (headphone in this case) that have the widest bandwidth possible. -3 db means at that frequency the level of loudness already droped by half. For example, if the spec says 10 Hz to 20 kHz, and assume the frequency in between is flat on the 0 dB axis, the 10 Hz and the 20 kHz frequency is already droped -3 dB from the 0 dB axis.

But believe me, and other guys here, the spec is really nothing... no.gif We really cannot judge the headphone quality by the spec. Must use own ears to judge yes.gif