Sign in to follow this  
N@Z

Bodo Khan DD-100 Walkman

Another unrelated link: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...bayphotohosting this is unbelievable the prices people are willing to pay for the original Walkmans. This particular example is in showroom condition complete with original box & papers. I used to have the complete Sony Walkman product brochure which included this model. I even had a 'clone' version which looked exactly the same unfortunately it didn't last me one year!

Well... the discontinued Headphones & PCDPs are all going in that direction also. So many bodohs then.

Basically, the older PCDPs have useless anti-skipping. Even walking with one tend's to make them skip. So they can only be used at home or in the office. In such situations, a S$250 home cdp will out perform the older gen PCDP. So unless you like standing still or only listen to music in the hotel room then it's a no brainer for me. Logical? Yes, No?

I agree with you there, rameish.

The older pcdp has not very good anti skip technology, worse still the earlier generation like d25 comes with no skip tech whatsoever. When you walk fast fast(like me sometimes) I don't think they will survive the 'shake' .

Also, the environment is also usually very noisy already. Coupled with cheaper headphones , the sound quality becomes very much compromised. So it does not make any sense to buy an older pcdp just because of their better sound, and have to endure the pain of skipping.

Unless of course the person is buying to be used at home and occasional portable. Or might be a collector of older pcdp.

Also, I would rather take pcdp that has more features. Like fm radio, mp3 capability and all compared to just having a cd player than can only read redbook cds. Not to mention I prefer the newer pcdps.. more eyecandy biggrin.gif

All are imo of course.

hmm.....sounds logical. wink.gif

I think everybody forgot the 1st P in PCDP. rolleyes.gif

Like in Portable CD Player and Portable Cassettes Player or maybe a Portable Vaccum Cleaner.

Within that there maybe some that is better than the other.

I also can't imagine myself walking around town with my Meridian strapped around my waist. tongue.gif

2¢ only

Edited by matbon0013

I still think there are still too many bodoh's paying far too much money on used stuff the practical arguments you guys made just cemented it even more! I guess my post was misunderstood. tongue.gif

U have to cut the hype from these earlier PCDPs. No you cant walk around with your home CDP but you can't walk around with the older PCDPs either LOL. Well you can if you like skipping :-).

Anyway it's fare cheaper to get a relatively new PCDP and an el cheapo Marantz CD-4000 - the extra money is used to buy a better set of cans or music!

My 1¡ñ

I totally agree with your 2nd paragraph especially if the 'vintage' PCDP concerned cost nearly as much. I can imagine myself lugging around a CD-4000 around the house with a portable amp while donning a pair of headphones! LOL!

Haaha! Ok! Ok! I got your drift the first time. yes.giflol.gif

Interesting as it seems, I'm quite content with the portables fidelity sound nowadays. Good sounding set up for the resort dwellers, I guess! rolleyes.gif

Yeah your place right now feels like a resort, especially with the HUGE aircon switched off.

If you think your porta gear suffice, give me you Naim system!

N@Z,

I'm not into portables myself but you... most of you headphones amps have been portable right? I mean with the Ety 4p most portables sound decent - unless you have the 4s? Of course no crossfeed. My first portable amp was the Grado RA-1. Kinda miss it. Sigh.

All except the MG Head OTL.

Beautiful amp the RA-1 but I find it lacked something, sparkle for me.

My etys are ER4S, used portable amps throughout. My current META is the best combination with it & a PCDP. Tried so many iterations, Headroom Airhead, Total Airhead, JMT CHA47, Xin/Fixup SuperMini v3, JMT META, this current META & finally the Monster META (modifed JMT META which is overkill for portable). Now waiting for Tangent's Mint Meta. Boy, he may be good at what he does but this guy really needs lessons in courtesy from both JMT & KurtW. Never again man!

Oh & I forgot one more to come YOUR used PCII. I chosed the used one bcos it's got the recess for wallwart.