69CamaroSS396

Recommendation for portable CD player

quick question, guys...why are good new ones so hard to find? What about portable DVD players?

Does anyone know if there is an audiophile manufacturer who does a portable CD setup?

You can try to get the model that im usin now!! The Panasonic SL-SX410 which is Made in Japan,

It is with me for 9 years now but got a bit of volume problem. The battery long is really good.

Mackie, what are their main difference between the 2 model?

Thanks.

Aside from the longer anti-shock duration and oscillating LEDs on the buttons of the 820, I can't discern any difference in sound quality between this and the 720.

Thanks Mackie. Clementi Electronic Centre have 2 CT720. Will get one later. 820 out of stock but they have 830.

Edit: CT720 cost S$149 today and left 1 display set.

http://cec.com.sg/ProductDetails.cfm?p=164...44&c1n=SL-CT720

http://cec.com.sg/ContactUs.cfm?prn=Contact%20Us

IPB Image

Edited by jasonhanjk

If you are able to compare the 720 with a more contemporary Pannie unit, please do. Anyhow, these Pannie pcdps harbour D-amps (digital amps) that not only produce a more realistic surround and bass enhancement through the different eq modes, the un-eq signal is also more open and transparent.

Edited by Mackie

If you are able to compare the 720 with a more contemporary Pannie unit, please do. Anyhow, these Pannie pcdps harbour D-amps (digital amps) that not only produce a more realistic surround and bass enhancement through the different eq modes, the un-eq signal is also more open and transparent.

which earphone pair with this pcdp best?

another vote for panny ct820. thx to uncle wilson's relentless effort in hunting down a set, i had the chance to listen to the 820 briefly at jaben today n it really sounded good. it was way better than the few sony discmans i had n def miles ahead of the sony ne1 i'm currently using. in my experience, panasonic products have more value for money n r more durable. my sony ne1 is literally held together by glue now n i paid a laughable 300 bucks for it when it first came out.

Mmm, I prefer 720 sound to my Micro. Still happily listening... :drool:

which earphone pair with this pcdp best?

I don't know the answer as I don't think there's one. As a guide, I like the sound from a modded Sony EX70, a regualr Koss KSC35 and KSC75, partnered with SL-CT720, either direct or via PA2V2 portable amp.

I suppose the CT820 is not in production anymore? So is it still possible to get a first hand set?

Hi, yes you can still see the Made in Japan SL-CT820 & SL-CT 720 at Best Denki (Tampines Century Square) selling @ SGD249 & 159 respectively. They only have the silver colour for the 820 and the white/silver colour for the 720. The difference is that the 820 can play WMA & Highmat... as according to the salesguy. And of course 820 looks sleeker. If they had the Black 820, I probably might have paid $90 more.

I got the 720 as I just wanted something convenient to play the CDs I buy immediately, and some MP3 compilations I put together. Noticed that before every MP3 track plays, there is a certain processing hiss.. probably that is the Digital Remastering thing doing its job. But I love the clarity of the tracks played... it does not need the volume to be loud to hear the music, matches very well with the Sennheiser PX100 & MX500 I use.

By the way, I did called Clementi Electronic Centre but they don't have the 2 models already, and Harry (salesguy there) checked that the new 830 does not have lineout.

Edited by Tristram