Sign in to follow this  
Neal

Westone UM1 & UM2

Yeah. I agree with Roasty. Audition before you get your iems. And do try to audition it together with your source and amo if possible. I'm a UM2 user.

WESTONE FOREVER! YEAH! Biasness aside, i chose UM2 over the UM1 and ER6i well.. because of the.. you guess it.. BASS! And not to forget the soundstage. I A/Bed the UM1, ER6i and UM2 at Jaban and the UM2, for me, trumped the other hands down! Thumping bass and music is flowing in my head instead of in my ears only. It really swept me off my feet and it also swept some dollar bills from my bank account. I'm a 'low' person so i guess UM2 suits me very much. wink.gif

Anyway, what i want to point out is that the UM2 sounds very different when matched with different sources and amps. I auditioned it with a META42 DIY portable amp and it sounded very very good but when i brought it home to drive it with my tube headamp (a SOHA and LDII), it sucked big time! Bloated mids and no bass and highs. It's literally night and day as compared to my cheapo META42 amp. I'm so glad that I've no intention of using the UM2 at home. smile.gif

yes i am pretty much of a 'high' person.. i really enjoy having nice clear sounding IEMs/headphones. i used to own the EX71 as well, i still have them in my drawer and everytime i want to appreciate how clear sounding the Etys are, i will listen to the EX71 for a few minutes tongue.gif

i used the UM2 with both the soft comply tips and the flanges. they were slightly awkward for me to get a good seal with, but once i was sure i had a good fit, i proceeded to play music through my Ipod-pocketdock line out-hornet setup.

i guess this is just my own opinion, i dont expect everyone to feel the same way and i'm sure i will offend some of you UM2 owners out there.. but the UM2 is definitely not worth the extra money over the ER4P/S iems. i almost ordered the UM2 from earphonesolutions.com and i am glad i did not spend the extra $$ for dual drivers which dont even sound as good as a single driver iem.

for those of you who are going to buy a new pair of IEMs, please, please do try them out before you buy. i have not had a chance to audition the Shure E4 series but am hoping to do so soon. peace guys.

u got your UM2 from earphonesolutions? did you pay for GST when the IEMs arrived?

I'm afraid that i may need to pay GST IF i get the E5 from them.

yes i am pretty much of a 'high' person.. i really enjoy having nice clear sounding IEMs/headphones. i used to own the EX71 as well, i still have them in my drawer and everytime i want to appreciate how clear sounding the Etys are, i will listen to the EX71 for a few minutes  tongue.gif

i used the UM2 with both the soft comply tips and the flanges. they were slightly awkward for me to get a good seal with, but once i was sure i had a good fit, i proceeded to play music through my Ipod-pocketdock line out-hornet setup.

i guess this is just my own opinion, i dont expect everyone to feel the same way and i'm sure i will offend some of you UM2 owners out there.. but the UM2 is definitely not worth the extra money over the ER4P/S iems. i almost ordered the UM2 from earphonesolutions.com and i am glad i did not spend the extra $$ for dual drivers which dont even sound as good as a single driver iem.

for those of you who are going to buy a new pair of IEMs, please, please do try them out before you buy. i have not had a chance to audition the Shure E4 series but am hoping to do so soon. peace guys.

u got your UM2 from earphonesolutions? did you pay for GST when the IEMs arrived?

I'm afraid that i may need to pay GST IF i get the E5 from them.

You can ask Flavio to declare lower. headphone.gif

If youadore the highs, mids and clarity, you should try the e4c out. smile.gif

I've moved from PX200, ex71, hje50, e3c and now, a UM1.

I love the e3c for it's silky mids and accurate tone but the mids can sometimes be a little over-powering.

the e4c is ultra clear but the sound signature is the same as the e3c. mid range is more prominent than the highs and lows. lesser treble roll-off compared to the e3c. bass is slightly better, better as in more audible. as tight & accurate as the e3c.

the e5c was "wow" soundstage was there. more balance than the e3c, e4c.

i moved to the UM1 because it gives me more bass from my iPod. Though the mids are not as smooth and endearing as the e3c, it's more of an all-rounded. the treble roll-offs are minimal when i switched to the soft flex sleeves from shure.

i have yet to try Etys but i might not like them. i prefer some resonance from my bass response. smile.gif

i didnt buy the UM2. i auditioned them at Jaben headphone.gif

anyways, if you do order them from earphonesolutions, u can ask them to declare as a gift. when i ordered my ER4P from www.discountheadphones.com, they really really under declared the earphones and i didnt pay a single cent for customs. plus they sent it via DHL, arrived in a week or so.

well...some really do not like the UM2 and some do... smile.gif as for me, im a UM2 user and i agree that it all depends on your source and tastes. the UM2 is a very sensitive earphone, so if you have a "not so good" source, the sound from the um2 will suck big time...and if you use it on the road with your DAP, the sound will also depend on the bitrate you use...as for me, i use it with my Xin SM3V6 amp and ipod, and personally, it sounds better than ety's and shure e4 smile.gif

I auditioned the UM2 at Jaben some time back on my IPOD Shuffle. I did not find the sound dark at all. The highs were sweet and the balance was quite neutral overall. But then I was comparing it to my E2Cs...

The UM2 is very sensitive though. I could hear a slight hiss when changing tracks on the Shuffle.

hi, know its probably subjective but in your opinion which tip would enhance the sound of um1? and how?

using the comply short tip provided in the package but thinking of getting something more durable. thanks.

Heard the customs (UM56 or otherwise) are rather good for sound enhancement.

Costly though.

Famous quote:

"Welcome to head-fi, and sorry about your wallet"

tongue.gif

Edited by aaron-xp

custom ones ex leh..... looking at cheaper ones like biflange, triflange, etc. btw, found afbug's comments on various tips in another forum. will go check that out headphone.gif