Sign in to follow this  
Blues

Nice amp for dt880

Since there are so many dt880 users here..

what amps are you using? and why you like it?

so far enjoying the sound of the ha-1 ..

I am thinking of trying out the tube amps like earmax (non pro )version.. someone quoted me 400 sin dollars for them. laugh.gif

waaa ... rich kid. Going for yet another amp.

You know what I use so nothing else to say, however, I might get the Cayin HA-1A, depends on my cousin whom stays in Hong Kong.

no lah hammer.gif

I can only keep one at a time biggrin.gif

Your ears must have been spoilt by all the choices ... so going to drop HA-1, hmmmm .... similar trend to ablaze biggrin.gif

hehheheeeeee.... lol.giflol.gif

but at 400 dollars.. it's hard to resist man!!

how much are these usually sold in the market, anyone? laugh.gif

hehheheeeeee.... lol.giflol.gif

but at 400 dollars.. it's hard to resist man!!

how much are these usually sold in the market, anyone? laugh.gif

hammer.gifhammer.gifhammer.gif

hiak hiak....thought someone said he would keep his present eqpt for 5-6 yrs?????

kicking.gif

oops... tongue.gif

who's that guy? who ? who? mad.gif

haha

i'm looking for an amp too.

no money to buy now....just doing some research.

most probably the amp will be pair up with dt880.

i was wondering how much is the gilmore?

You want it darker like the DT-770 or brighter like the Grado?

The DT-880 IMO mates quite well with the X-Cans if you really want a new amp. It should brighten up the somewhat dark sound of the Beyer.

Guy,

Do youself a favour and don't get the EarMax - it's warm - real warm. The Marantz u have is a warm CDP (with a slightly edgy top end) and the Corda HA-1 is slightly warm and the DT-880 is warm as well. Get youself some Kimber KCAG or Silver Streaks (don't go cheap on silver as it will bite back). The Silver Streaks have a slight glare at the top end but still nice. Even with the PreHead-1 you can hear the glare - that why I use the Kimber KS-1030 (btw it's slightly cheaper than the PreHead-1 at around S$1,360 - yes thats for the IC). All the detail with a slightly sweet top end. Otherwise look for a used KS-1020 (not as good but half the price)

Going further a bit, you might want to get some decent Power Cords - easy to change on the Marantz - Kimber makes some new ones that I'm not too familier with. The older ones which I had on sale but took them off (sorry) do the job - but you know even I want to try new stuff. Stay away from the cheap Belden (can't remember the model no. - the S$10 a meter from LHS in SLT unless you want it darker - AFA could work as it's quite fast (generally I don't like AFA as they add a zip/glare to the sound).

Then if you really want go one up by getting some form of isolation for the CDP at least.

Maximize what you have first before pouring you money into something new (very hard to do I know).

THIS BIT IS IMPORTANT: It's a bit like cooking - MY OPINION is for my tastes. You may not like what I like. I like a very detailed, airy sound, close soundstage and good timber and decay. I don't really care for a rich, lush sound with distant soundstage (it puts me to sleep).

Hi rameish,

good advice for me there. Arghh need to lock my money in the bank so that my other half can't touch it mad.gif

My only problem with the system is probably a little harsh hi end, maybe due to the marantz or corda ? I don't know. That's why I am afraid of trying out the silver streak. Later my ears bleed LOL

Oh what about the power cords? you mean you can plug the original cord of the marantz? ohmy.gif alrite.. hm.. will look into that smile.gif

hm hm.. happy.gif

Rameish,

Are the KCAGs harsh in anyway? They weren't when i listened nor were my KCAG clones. You seem to be saying that the higher end kimber select stuff are less harsh than KCAG. Or are they mellow in nature compared to KCAG?

In my system, the Nordost Red Dawns really became an invisible connection but the KCAG clones i had were that but am more musical... hard to understand why either

i would have thought that the dt880 would have leaned slightly towards the higher freqs.

as in not so much as to be obviously 'bright', but it is certainly IMO not 'dark'. i would call it 'clear'.

the dt770 is certainly 'dark' though. i might be getting one as my next can. i like my trance bass strong, thank you very much.

the dt880 i'll keep for the classical and jazz. i like what it does with female vocals.

guy,

so far from what i can gather on head-fi, the dt880 pairs well with almost any tubed amp. adam-zuf has chosen to pair his with the earmax pro. i think you can get a new emp for S$900, but i'm not sure.

for solid state amps, the ha-2 is reputed to pair very well with the dt880. however i am not sure what source the people with these combinations are running or whether their dt880/sources/amps are modded.

or why dont you wait for the x-cans v3 to come out if you would like to go hybrid? imagine - clarity and musicality in one package. true, it may be a jack of all trades and master of none scenario, but then again, wouldnt that be especially appropriate for the dt880?

and oh, rameish you MUST explain some of the acronyms you use.

a bit puzzling for a relative newbie like me. tongue.gif

adhoc,

not really a fan of xcan.. to me they are bright. I like warmth in my system. Hence my creek and the dt770 last time laugh.gif (marantz also .. lol)

hm the emp costs about 600 usd.. convert is around 1 k... not cheap.

I will see what I can do and maybe my friend will be willing to let go of his emp cheap biggrin.gif