Sign in to follow this  
Blues

Nice amp for dt880

THIS BIT IS IMPORTANT: It's a bit like cooking - MY OPINION is for my tastes. You may not like what I like. I like a very detailed, airy sound, close soundstage and good timber and decay. I don't really care for a rich, lush sound with distant soundstage (it puts me to sleep).

My listening preference is very similar to yours but I still prefer the rich, lush, sweet sound but slightly forward & not too upfront.

Guy, sorry I can't offer you anything more constructive but my experience with tube amps is only with the MG Head OTL which has a nice warm, lush & rich sound. It partners very well with the HD600 especially in OTL mode where the bass goes deep & low. Recently I like using it with the RS-1 too but in Transforemer mode (but the RS-1 still goes pretty low), I have to use a lower gain output tube (from 12AX7 to 12AU7 or 5751) to compensate for the lower impedance & in fact it gives me better control over the volume pot increments. It works very well on most bright modern recordings but as mentioned by Rameish too much warmth doesn't necessarily equal nirvana & on some recordings it shows that unpleasant character.

No point to go Ear Max if no Pro at the end, just my 2 cents.

Edited by N@Z

In that case guy try either Kimber PBJ or Kimber Hero. Stick with a Belden. No you can't just shove in a power cord into the Marantz but it's very easy to cut off the wire and attach a male IEC plug (if you don't wish to cut a hole that would fit an chassis monunt male iec). U can come by somtime and try the PBJ with my marantz 6000 and see if the harshness you describe goes away. I think I know what you mean by harshness - is it top end glare esp on female vocals? It sorta flares up right?

Well that's a combo of the 6000 OSE and Silver Streaks (I don't know what cable IC you're using). I would strongly suggest staying away from the cheaper silver cables.

KCAG his that same quality but is a more refined cable. But I really do like the KS-1030 but the price of using the same IC downstream is $$$$$. CDP to Pre to Power that's S$1,360 x 3 = S$4 K plus foe interconnects only.

Adhoc,

The DT-880, DT-990 and DT-770 belong to the dark side Muhahaha. The DT-800 is the fairest LOL of the dark side of the Beyer family.

Neutral - hmm dislike the word but AKG-K-501 or Beyer DT-150 could be described as neutral.

The bright side of the family are the DT-831 and the DT-931 ;-).

I will see what I can do and maybe my friend will be willing to let go of his emp cheap biggrin.gif

oh..your friend has an EMP? ohmy.gifwink.gif

ablaze: yea

rameish: still using a monster cable 300 mkii.. no silver streak yet laugh.gif

yeah.. it's like what you've just described. The glare at the top-end. strange.. maybe my ears fooled me yesterday sleep.gif

waaa ... rich kid. Going for yet another amp.

You know what I use so nothing else to say, however, I might get the Cayin HA-1A, depends on my cousin whom stays in Hong Kong.

Any idea how the price is like?

So the Glare is still there? Try some Kimber Hero's - although I do not have much experiece with this cable, I have a fairly good idea how most Kimber sound oor play it safe and get PBJs but get at least 1.5m even if you don't need 1.5m long PBJ. Tey actually sound better than 1m PBJ.

I'm puzzled too. I did ask Oak at the meet somthing to that effect and he did give an explanation as to why that may be so - Oak??

Hi Rameish,

yeah I would most probably settle with the Kimber PBJ.. cheaper and should last me for quite a while biggrin.gif

just nice.. I also need the IC to be longer than 1 m.

Alrite time for cable hunting happy.gif

On the side note, do you know any other ic that has warm but detailed sound? I mean the detail level that is close to silver streak and yet at the same time warm. Is there such a thing tongue.gif

On the side note, do you know any other ic that has warm but detailed sound? I mean the detail level that is close to silver streak and yet at the same time warm. Is there such a thing  tongue.gif

Sounds like the nature of my Tara Labs Ref Gen II. Alternatively, Van den hul may be your cup of tea with regards to warmth. Both OaK and I have an extra pair of Ecosse - The composer interconnects. Pretty airy and subtle in characteristics for the price. Let me know if U're keen to try. For now, U might wanna do a google search and read up on this interconnects if they are right for U.

Edited by Mackie

alright.

I am contemplating between silver streak and tara labs. But I think the tara costs a bomb right wacko.gif

wonder how easy is it to appear on the used market .. hm hmm..

The Tara Labs RSC prime is cheaper than Ref Gen 2. If U like the silver streak, lock on to it in the meantime unless supply in the used market is exhausted.

looks like the supply is getting exhausted man..

how good is the rsc prime, compared to the SS?

I seldom see tara labs IC being sold in the 2nd market too mellow.gif

how much is the cost of the ICs u guys mentioned in this thread??

Thanks

Tara Labs RSC Ref Gen II has been superseded by the Air series. It used to cost $380 when new. Used price is about $250.

Kimber Silver Streaks cost around $270 new.

Tara Labs RSC Prime costs about $150 used.