Sign in to follow this  
heady

Building the PINT

I must say, having seen your projects, you are amongst the top DIYers in SE Asia. Even if you have to use a hand drawn schematic, shoot a pic and post here, it is still most welcome. After you learn to do Eagle, you can replace the pics.

So, can I persuade you to launch a thread for each of your projects here? You will be sharing your knowledge and ideas and at the same time also helping this site to gain viewership. What do you say? Say yes!! :))

thanks for the nice compliments.

i'm still trying to finalize the circuit. what i'm calling the Portable Reference V2 have 5 different prototypes till now, and i'm still squeezing the best sound from it before concluding on a final design.

er, you guys wouldn't mind if i start a new thread with each new project? i have a few ongoing projects, and the Gainclone & an M3 next in line (after i finalise the PRV2).

I had a PINT on which I tried two TS922 opamps. It sounded terrible, very slow and tired sound. Maybe I did not burn it in enough but anyway, I prefer the sound of the original AD8397.

So, I intended to change the opamps back to the ADs. But I first substituted the L/R opamp and it sounds ok to me now and the best part is, the amp works at voltages down to 2.5V. Wow, now it is truly portable.

Here's a pair of PINTs I built, one a bit fancy and one plain jane. The fancy one belongs to fellow forumer, mine is the plain jane version. The aluminium casing doesn't have a battery compartment cover so it has a DC in socket to charge the battery in-situ.

Pair_of_PINTs_01.jpg

Pair_of_PINTs_02.jpg

Edited by heady

Sorry for digging up this thread...

Anybody can help me fix on the battery capacitor and battery connector??

And where got sell casing and how much??

Sorry for digging up this thread...

Anybody can help me fix on the battery capacitor and battery connector??

PM me re: details of your problem and I see if I can help. PM afbug if you like his casing above in the pics. The one with the aluminium casing. If you like the black plastic casing, it is a Hammond 1593 from Farnell. Same one recommended for the CMOY2, you can look up the CMOY built thread to get the part number.

The Hammond metal case can be bought from Farnell online. Part number: 1455C802 and the silver one cost $17. Black will cost more, about $20. Got 2 versions with 2 colours (Black/silver); Metal end panels or plastic end panels. Metal end panels version will cost about $2-3 more.

IPB Image

IPB Image

The silver one is plastic end panel and the black one is metal end panel. The one in the middle is the plastic Hammond case that heady is using.

Nice pics, afbug. Just curious, what amp is that on the left?

Nice pics, afbug. Just curious, what amp is that on the left?

The black metal case? It is a Go-Vibe V3. :cans: The one in the middle is a V5.

Thanks afbug.

U know, the knob on the PINT looks so good compared to the Go-Vibes.

Thanks afbug.

U know, the knob on the PINT looks so good compared to the Go-Vibes.

erm....the knob on the V3 is the same one. All the same knob except the V5 in the middle. I also like the V5 knob but I dunno where to get in SG. I'll have to ask the builder of the Go-Vibe where he get them or sell me some replacement. :P

Nice shiny pot on the right side amp Master Bug o_O

Where to buy arz? Does SLT carry it?

SLT not sure but I got from Farnell online. Black one about $3 and the silver one cost $5. :shocking: Both are the same except colour!

SLT not sure but I got from Farnell online. Black one about $3 and the silver one cost $5. :shocking: Both are the same except colour!

What is the Part No. of that Knob at Farnell?

Picture of my temp PINT Casing(costs less than $1) before i order a casing and knob..

IPB Image

Edited by dle4e_2005

*XD @ previous post*

Oh my gosh dle4e_2005, you win teh internets!

Seriously, I've never had such a laugh in a long time :D

No offense meant though, I just found that picture ingenious and hilarious at the same time :D

What is the Part No. of that Knob at Farnell?

Picture of my temp PINT Casing(costs less than $1) before i order a casing and knob..

Haha your temp casing power leh!

Part no for the knob I got is: 16H-2D-A & 16H-2D-B (1 of them is black and the other silver)

FYI, there're many knobs/designs avaliable at Farnell, so you can take a look around but taken note of the knob size and internal diameter. If other knobs have the same specs as the one I got, you probably can use it.

Edit:

I remembered; Koba at People's Park Center also have lots of knobs. You can try them but have to really search for what you want. Once you're there, you'll know what I mean. The thing is, I dun think they have the knob I have. So if you want the same knob as me, its better to buy from Farnell.

Edited by afbug