wil

Spotted! gal with nice phones!

You're welcome.

Chio = Pretty.

Bu = Girl/female/woman

So Chio bu = Pretty girl. wub.gif

chio = attractive, hot

boh hiew = to pay no attention to

Anyway, as stated before, it is so rare to see someone using a shure/er/ue/westone phone, that once you do, you feel a sense of bonding with that person.  tongue.gif

lol....welcome to singlish gfgfmoses....

bonding/attraction to beautiful girls or chio bu dun need to wear the same shure/westone right...excuse only right....lol.gif

yo sgheadphones gals who are reading this: any bonding to guys wearing shures/ers/westone?? tongue.gif

QUOTE (aaron-xp @ May 4 2006, 04:33 PM)

Anyway, as stated before, it is so rare to see someone using a shure/er/ue/westone phone, that once you do, you feel a sense of bonding with that person.  tongue.gif

lol....welcome to singlish gfgfmoses....

bonding/attraction to beautiful girls or chio bu dun need to wear the same shure/westone right...excuse only right....lol.gif

yo sgheadphones gals who are reading this: any bonding to guys wearing shures/ers/westone?? tongue.gif

Ahem... I mean to both males and otherwise. Don't twist the meaning of my statement. tongue.gif

I stay in SG whole life and still cannot understand this - chio = beautiful, chio bu = beautiful girl? What dialect is this? Hakka? Hainanese? Doesn't sound like Hokkien to me. I am so lost. wacko.gif

They're hokkien. Singlish is a mixture of English, hokkien, malay and a little of other dialects like cantonese.

afbug,

There are 4 sub-dialects to Singlish. The one you mentioned is the basilect variety.

In linguistics, a basilect is a dialect of speech that has diverged so far from the standard language that in essence it has become a different language. A basilect represents the opposite end of the scale of linguistic formality from an acrolect.

Basilects typically differ from the standard language in pronunciation, vocabulary, and grammar, and can often develop into different languages, as the basilects of Vulgar Latin eventually developed into different Romance languages.

[bASI– + (DIA)LECT.]

A person with the ability of using the acrolect variety may have the ability to use abny of the other varieties. This is called code-switching.

For example when I am at a meeting (with fello singaporeans) I would code switch from acrolect variety (at the start of the meeting) to basilect variety (if all goes well at the meeting).

If however the meeting has non-locals, then I would probably not code switch but would use the acrolect variety. I may even choose words and phrases that I feel the listener is more comfortable with - like "lets's have a pint after this" (if is a brit) which is the same as "let's have a beer after this".

Or and take note of this: In England, the acrolect is RP (Received Pronunciation). This is a social rather than regional variety. There are a few basilects: Brummie (working-class Birmingham speech), Scouse (working-class Liverpool speech) and Cockney, which actually is associated with London! Mesolects (those varieties with mid-prestige/stigma) generally tend to be rural or national varieties.

Note: This is very different from using a fake accent which most of us can detect because is ususlly bungled up! LOL

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Edited by Rameish

What has this got to do with the Gal with nice (head)phones?!

We need pictorial proof please! Hehehe.

Rameish, I am shocked!! rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif Such language! In such a nice forum some more. rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

lol.giflol.giflol.gif

What has this got to do with the Gal with nice (head)phones?!

We need pictorial proof please! Hehehe.

How to take pic?! tongue.gif Saw a pretty girl with E5 and i go:

Me: Hi! I see you're using a E5! Looks nice on you!

She: ?! Oh yes, hehe, they're good but not cheap.

Me: Can i take a pic of you wearing it? You're pretty!

She: !?!?! WT*! Crazy freak!

She storms away, leaving me standing there...... wacko.gif

The ideal sceniro will be she posing for a shot. Maybe the more outgoing or hiao type will allow a pic. lol.gif Asking for a pic during 1st contact is more difficult than asking for her number!

Rameish :

Woah! You into language? Thats a comprehensive explanation.

Always learning something new everyday... esp from the more 'senior' members laugh.gif

afbug, i reckon if you introduce yourself as a member of this forum, you could get a favourable response innocent.gif