Sign in to follow this  
cmk

Another PA2V2 thread, but about ps

I just received a new PA2V2 from Gary, arrived in a nicely packaged small bubble wrap envelope, incredibly small.

Went and got myself one of those multivoltage adaptors and plugged in the power supply, was fortunate to have plugged in the negative tip correctly and powered up the unit. It works fine and sounds, Large, shall we say. Much bigger than the size of the unit itself.

Now I was wondering about those of you who own one, does it sound better with the AC plugged in, or better battery powered? I'll go home tonite and try out myself, but just wanted to find out others' opinion.

cmk what do you think of it? My friend just got his recently, and he was kind enough to lend it to me for 2 days. While there was a slight improvment in sound, it was a bit too slight for me to spend $56. Gary's service is excellent though.

I think this is a bit system dependent. I'm using it with the MS Pros on my iRiver IP400 and it sounds v good. The soundstage expands quite a bit and the music has more body. So far only complaint is that it doesn't extend very deep into the bass, but I'm splitting hairs here and comparing it with my home rig. For a mobile amp, its great. I'll need more time to try it out on my other cans, but so far so good. The mids are especially nice.

The sound appears to be tilted to the right channel, mmm... not so good here. dry.gif The MS Pros are balanced to w/i 0.5db for both channels, so it can't be the cans. I'm beginning to suspect the cheap mini-mini cable. It could be just a thing with running-in, its fine on another song. The highs are quite crisp, v nice. I'll report back when I've spent more time playing around with this cute thing.

On another vocal piece its seems to be fine, vocals are centered, but the lower mids are a bit too full, giving a rounded presentation, and consequently the image is blurred. Again, here this is in comparison with the home rig. As a portable amp, I think it does everything asked of it quite well.

Edited by cmk

I own one but i never tried it on an AC adaptor before. So can't answer your question. But its better to use a better IC. The supplied ones are not so good. Limits the bass and can sound a bit congested.

i faced the similar problem of the sound tilted to one side too... but gary advised me to get a line-in attenuator because the problem only occurs at low volumes. with the attenuator lowering the volume, i can turn the knob up and this solves the problem

afbug/fongalv

Any recommendations for a better IC?

If I want to choose my cable and/or DIY one, does someone like LHS carry those 1/8" plugs?

Ok, I tried out both direct AC and with batteries, its clearly batteries which have lower noise and they sound louder too, don't ask me why.

The channel imbalance I hear is despite turning up the vol. I have it at around 2 o'clock and its there on the MS Pro, but its not apparent on any of my other cans. I did try it out with the 990Pro, K501 and 880, all sounded good.

Shipping took 10 days exactly.

I only experience channel imbalance at 1.5 o'clock. 2 and above is fine on the ER4P/UM2. But isn't 2 o'clock really soft? Or did you get Gary to set higher gain? I normally listen at 3-5 o'clock for earphones and 6-7 for headphones.

As for batts Vs AC, i guess its got to do with power supply. (Batts/wall supply) Dun use normal alkaline batts too. Recharables works and sounds best.

For IC, i'm using a Cardas HPI. Other brands, i got no experience. As for LHS stocking 3.5mm, i think should have. Quite common?

The supplied mini-mini is functional at best.

You can do better with many of the other choices in the market, from DIYs (LHS is a great source) to commercial ones like the Cardas HFI.

Given the cost of the PAVV2, I would not go overboard with spending too much on a mini-mini unless you are planning to move up the portable amp ladder soon smile.gif

I have a number of spare mini-minis (from my search for the Holy Grail) that I am looking to sell. PM if you are interested.

if you want a clean sound out of using wall supply, then the output DC has to be regulated one

I've opened some wallwarts (AC-DC adapter, or so they claim). inside there's nothing to regulate and/or to suppress the ripples. so that's why with the higher noise floor I suppose

cmk, LHS sells a few types of 1/8" plugs. go there, look around. and pick the one that you think gonna suit ur budget and ur expectation best.

LHS, however, does not sell exotic cables. they sell high quality cable at sane prices smile.gif

The supplied mini-mini is functional at best.

You can do better with many of the other choices in the market, from DIYs (LHS is a great source) to commercial ones like the Cardas HFI.

Given the cost of the PAVV2, I would not go overboard with spending too much on a mini-mini unless you are planning to move up the portable amp ladder soon smile.gif

I have a number of spare mini-minis (from my search for the Holy Grail) that I am looking to sell. PM if you are interested.

ygpm