Sign in to follow this  
cmk

Another PA2V2 thread, but about ps

I don't think there's a big difference in the sonic signature of both Canare Starquad and Cardas, both provide a warm presentation and should suit both your cans. If you are familar with Cardas sound, it has a certain sonic signature which is still present even with the HPI, which is a bit of a smooth warm sound focusing on the mids.

I bought the Canare 2nd hand, so I'm not the right person to ask, but it should not be too ex.

can wires have a sonic signature? arent they supposed to be just transports, n thus be as uncoloured as possible?

I don't think there's a big difference in the sonic signature of both Canare Starquad and Cardas, both provide a warm presentation and should suit both your cans. If you are familar with Cardas sound, it has a certain sonic signature which is still present even with the HPI, which is a bit of a smooth warm sound focusing on the mids.

I bought the Canare 2nd hand, so I'm not the right person to ask, but it should not be too ex.

can wires have a sonic signature? arent they supposed to be just transports, n thus be as uncoloured as possible?

Browse any self respecting "audiophile" boards, and you'll come across endless debates about exotic wires, plugs, and other stuff that goes clear over my head.

There's good wires and there's lousy wires. Beyond a certain point, you'll rapidly reach a point of diminishing returns, no matter how expensive the wires get (IMHO).

Having said that, using the Cardas HPI interconnect, the hiss I get from the amps using the stock IC vanished with the Cardas. The sound was warmer, but sounds more "congested" compared to the more airy sonic signature of the stock unknown IC's that came with the amp. Dunno why that is so....different materials and / or impedances? There! I can throw them adjectives as well as any card-carrying "audiophile", eh? :yeah:

Edited by scanfiend

In regard to your findings on Cardas HPI vs the stock interconnect, I reckon either of the following scenarios or both contribute to the outcome. Firstly, the stock I/C is prone to RFI and thus introduced noise to your system. No noise is heard through Cardas cos of its more superior shielding. However the more likely scenario would be the Cardas exhibiting a rolloff in treble band, thus, contributing to less noise and notably, the congested sound and warmth in mid-lower highs. However, it doesn't matter as long as you attain the sound that you like, rolloff or no rolloff.

Copper is a conductor of electricity but different copper can sound different as there are impurities, not unless it's 100%. Furthermore, different method of shielding, cable housing (teflon, PVC etc) and impedance/dielectric properties of each cable (capacitance/inductance) result in different sonic characteristics heard through an audio system.

Fishball79's comments in this thread makes an interesting read.

http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?show...personal+review

Edited by Mackie

That's a most informative thread, Mackie. Thank you for linking it.

I'm a headphone guy, and never really had the chance to play around with speakers, interconnects, speaker wires and such. I've read about the endless debates about the pros and cons of various types of interconnects, and never put much stock into them.....some of the proponents seem to infer some kind of mystical, other wordly properties onto cables, while others counter with cold, hard science :))

I must confess that I was a skeptic....after all, wires are merely the conduit for electrons to flow from point A to B. Unless you're using really terrible, unshielded cables, all reasonably high quality cables should sound similar. I put more stock into the view that your other components, i.e. amps, source, speakers play a more important part in determining the sound.

However, even my untrained ears can detect a change in sound between the stock IC's and that of the Cardas! Oh no....is that a slippery slope I'm descending?! :))

That's a most informative thread, Mackie. Thank you for linking it.

I'm a headphone guy, and never really had the chance to play around with speakers, interconnects, speaker wires and such. I've read about the endless debates about the pros and cons of various types of interconnects, and never put much stock into them.....some of the proponents seem to infer some kind of mystical, other wordly properties onto cables, while others counter with cold, hard science :))

I must confess that I was a skeptic....after all, wires are merely the conduit for electrons to flow from point A to B. Unless you're using really terrible, unshielded cables, all reasonably high quality cables should sound similar. I put more stock into the view that your other components, i.e. amps, source, speakers play a more important part in determining the sound.

However, even my untrained ears can detect a change in sound between the stock IC's and that of the Cardas! Oh no....is that a slippery slope I'm descending?! :))

heng, i find amps too bulky and unwieldy to be portable, in my sense~ :helpsmilie:

otherwise my $$ fly away~

From my personal experience, the most obvious difference was that my DIY canare/supra IC gave static when the plugs were moved abit(which happens rather easily since they are so huge), but the cardas HP1 was dead silent no matter how I adjusted the plug on both source and amp side.

That's why I always look for L shaped jacks. They may not look as pretty as some of the fancy looking plugs, but they put almost no stress on the headphone jacks. Makes it a lot easier to stuff the amp & DAP into my pouch, too :))

Nope, you just took the red pill from Mobius (or is it blue? **shrug shrug**).