Sign in to follow this  
aegisofrime

SACDs

Sembawang Music, Borders, New Disc Village and all those audiophile CD shops.

user posted image

Make this your first SACD purchase. Put it on your system and try to distinguish all 40 different voices.

this was an extremely special recording. The 40 members of the choir stood around an omni-directional mike hung about 10 ft from the ground. It's something special to listen to and a wonderful test track for a systems soundstage, depth and resolution.

A friend of mine used this CD to audition the Senn Orpheus serial no. 152 for a special review in the mag. I missed that session... sad2.gif

I would like to a question which is rather off

Do the SACDs only play on those stationary CD player?

Read from somewhere that the SACDs usually have both the normal and SACD recording so that it can still play on normal CD players.

I would like to a question which is rather off

Do the SACDs only play on those stationary CD player?

Read from somewhere that the SACDs usually have both the normal and SACD recording so that it can still play on normal CD players.

That's true.

Qouted from Wikipedia:

There are three types of SACDs:

* Hybrid: The most popular of the three types, hybrid discs include an audio CD "Red Book" layer compatible with Compact Disc players, dubbed the "CD layer," and a 4.7 GB SACD layer, dubbed the "HD layer."

* Single layer: Physically a DVD-5 DVD, a single layer SACD includes a 4.7 GB SACD layer with no CD layer (i.e. one HD layer only). This type was often used by Sony Music Entertainment.

* Dual layer: Physically a DVD-9 DVD, a dual layer SACD includes two SACD layers with no CD layer (i.e. two HD layers). This type is rarely used.

But then listening to the CD layer won't give you any improvement in sound quality right? tongue.gif

Yongchris... Yeah that will be a really big test for soundstages. Gonna try it with my friend's MS-1 since he said the soundstage sucks on that pair of cans. laugh.gif