Sign in to follow this  
jarthel

my Morgan jones amp diary

Well some of the parts have arrived.

The plate power supply will be a tube rectifier (6X5GT). Parts are:

Transformer=Hammond 369GX (225-0-225 65ma plate, 6.3V 2.5A filament)

choke=Hammond 155H

Plate power supply capacitors = BHC Aerovox

2W resistors

The power supply originally uses 6X4 but I decided to use 6X5GT as they are bigger (Octal) and has the mean look of a tube. The 6X4 is a B7A is very slim. Resistor values were changed from the original circuit to compensate for the change in tubes.

Heater power supply will use diode bridge rectifier. Part are:

Onsemi ultrafast 200V 4A diodes

10W resistor

Nichicon-muse capacitors

On the amp circuit, there were no changes made. Parts are:

several types of tubes for rolling : Mullard 6922, Philips 6DJ8 and 7308, Mullard 6DJ8

Ei 6DJ8 gold pins and varios other tubes

goldpin tube sockets (1 Octal and 3 B9A) that mounts from underneath (I think these look better than the ones that mount from the top.)

various values of Vishay-Dale RN65D for the amp circuit(will be definitely be matched)

Elma rotary switch (for the stepped attenuator)

various values of Vishay-Dale RN55D for the stepped attenuator (will be matched)

Nichicon-Muse capacitors

BHC Aerovox (for the output cap)

Solen metallized polypro (to bypass the output caps)

Schurter 6.35mm headphone jack (I can get the Neutrik but I don't like their look.)

Bourns linear 100K for the feedback

---------------

I've sent my Hammond chassis down south so a person I know can punch some holes for the tube sockets. Holes for most of the components were drilled. I still need to drill holes for the tube sockets screws.

I'm painting the transformer end bells right now. I'm aiming for a mirror finish. I'll also aim for a mirror finish on the chassis. Color is black.

I will update the thread asap.

jayel

ps. I forgot to add that I'm awaiting for the arrival of parts like the Elma switch, Vishay-Dale, Solen and Nichicon-Muse. They were bought for me in the US by my sister.

Well tube amps are simple to do because of the limited number of components compared to solid state. So assuming everything goes according to plan, I can finish the amp in 3 nights.

But we all know reality and our plans doesn't always agree. sad2.gif

But I may get lucky. smile.gif

Edited by jarthel

Parts from the US have arrive. I'll probably work on the stepped attenuator for now. The chassis hasn't arrive.

Jayel

ps. these nichicon-muse capacitors looks amazing! it just oozes with quality. I love the green colored ones. so unique.

i have a ton of nichicon and rubycon on my computer motherboard. there must be at least 30 of them there.

:eyes motherboard: dry.gif

w00t.gif

anyway, jarthel, how much did the parts cost you altogether?

lol

Rubycon and Nichicon produces lots of types of capacitors.

Nichicon-Muse are designed/made for audio purposes. I can get Nichicon and Rubycon capacitors too locally but they are not audio capacitors.

Rubycon audio capacitors are marketed/labeled as Black gates. Most expensive electrolytic of them all!

Nichicon - Nichicon-Muse

Elna - Cerafine

If would be nice if you do a search (google) first before you post. smile.gif

since you didn't search, let me provide several results from google.

1. http://www.audiocominternational.com/store...tors_musefs.asp

2. http://www.hndme.com/storeindex.html (look at the prices on Black Gates/Muse capacitors)

-------------------

cost?

Probably $600 to $700 AUD already. probably. I stopped counting them already.

jayel

ps. Your sig "bow now to my infinite wisdom and smartness!!" is funny considering your reply smile.gif

Edited by jarthel

How about some photos as you go along, if possible,

I'll be bringing home the work digital camera on the weekend so pics to follow. smile.gif

Edited by jarthel

Cool, it'd be nice to see the bits & pieces before putting together & the stages as you go along.

Sounds cool Jayel. biggrin.gif

I hope I'll get to have a listen when its done wink.gif

whoa, jarthel, lighten up a bit.

i KNOW that while all nichicon muse caps are nichicons, the reverse does not apply. my reply was meant to provide some humour while asking a more serious question - the one concerning the cost.

the sig is meant to be taken lightly too actually. mellow.gif

some photos

1. amp parts

The ones with red tape are the BHC Aerovox capacitors. The big ones are the output caps. the smaller ones are the power supply caps. Behind the teflon tubing (the white reel) is the Elma attenuator. I rechecked the values again if they matched as I recently bought a much better VOM than what I already have. Due to this rechecking, I replaced some of the resistors.

2. rectifier tubes

These are 6X5GT octal tubes which are quite mean looking.

-----------------------

Unfortunately, the digital camera at work doesn't have macro lens so I can't make close ups of the parts.

1 channel almost done. I can probably finish it before next week. pics to come. The chassis needs some make over though.

Jayel

Jarthel assures me no tubes have blown yet.( He runs for cover when he switches it on jsut in case lol.giflol.gif ) Hope all goes smooth for you buddy. laugh.gif