Sign in to follow this  
huangyong

Discrete Buffer vs IC Buffer

hello DIY friends, need to ask you guys, especially those experience ones, what is the major difference in term of sound quality between the 2.

There're many types of IC buffer out there, more popular ones are BUF643, HA5002,

While discrete buffer, we have Diamond buffer, Class A, AB, B buffer, and MOSFET buffer.

so please tell me whay have you used and tell me the sound quality.

Thanks.

i particularly like the Discreet Diamond Buffer. don't matter if it's operating in Class A or AB, but surely beats the BUF634 in transparency and speed. the BUF634 sounds veiled. even a simplified Diamond Buffer or the Push-Pull Discreet Buffer sounds better than a BUF634.

yet i've never tried the Intersil nor the Elantec buffers, but did a quick comparison between a simplified Diamond Buffer against the BUF634 and the DB is the clear winner. never used a BUF634 ever since.

tho for simplicity, a BUF634 might be easier to implement/use.

Hi Peranders,

Fancy meeting you here in our humble forum. Thanks for the tip. Any comments regarding the sonics of this buffer?

Regards

Guest peranders

Not yet I'm afraid but I'm real glad that I know have a second source to BUF634 SMD since it's impossible to get hold of. I have BUF634 in my QRV04 headphone amp and it's not so good to sell pcb's which require parts that you can't buy.

Edited by peranders

Guest Ph33lix

hello DIY friends, need to ask you guys, especially those experience ones, what is the major difference in term of sound quality between the 2.

There're many types of IC buffer out there, more popular ones are BUF643, HA5002,

While discrete buffer, we have Diamond buffer, Class A, AB, B buffer, and MOSFET buffer.

so please tell me whay have you used and tell me the sound quality.

Thanks.

For the sake of those still interested, I think a discrete diamond buffer is a better solution.

Chips like the BUF643 are extremely hard to come by and even farnell doesn't have stock on their US/UK sites.. if I recall right.

What's more, the discrete "monofied" Jung diamond buffer uses very common transistors and diodes that you can easily source in SLT within 5 minutes.

If you google for "sijosae monofied diamond buffer", you should be able to find a link to a headwize or headfi thread that has the layout and schematic. The layout is supposed to be pin-compatible with the BUF634, so it makes it very easy to implement into any circuit that requires such a buffer.

Guest peranders

What do you think of my new diamond buffer? It looks nice and works good .... if two patches are made. Parts are on both sides as you can see and the board has four layers. The boards are rather small also, compare with my finger.

IPB Image

Edited by peranders

What do you think of my new diamond buffer? It looks nice and works good .... if two patches are made. Parts are on both sides as you can see and the board has four layers. The boards are rather small also, compare with my finger.

IPB Image

Ya lol, can tell... everything looks so big.

That's quite a load of SMD transistors you got there. For 2 channels?