Sign in to follow this  
Comity2006

Grado SR60

Hi guys!

I wanted to know this, when has actually Grado released SR60? I do own Audio-Technica ATH-T2 but its more for home-use when I'm producing some music, I need a headphone for me to use it outdoor and I just feel I want to try Grado SR60 out, since I think it looks good and its reviews has been great. Anyone who owns this, does it go well with portable mp3 players? Please drop your thoughts about this.

Just wondering, why do one use Headphone Amplifiers? to further amplify the sound? Is that the only reason? *Sorry, noob alert.*

Welcome to SGheadphones! :D

You may want to post this in the portable audio subforum for more attention. I'm quite sure that a few own this though.

SR60 goes well with mp3 players in general. However, its open back design (no isolation) does not bode well for usage in outdoors and especially so when commuting on public transport. Choose close back design, thus ruling out Grado, for outdoor use.

Hi joiful was testing the grado sr60 that day and didnt like how it sounded. Apparently he was mentioning that the music sounded too bright. Perhaps it needed some burning in.

hi there! welcome, i'm not expert as well but i hope this'll help. the Grados are open back design. if you ask ur friend to put them on and blast some music you'll be able to hear it from the outside. and it doesn't provide isolation so external noise gets in the way of your music. a close back design would be more suitable for outdoor use. or a IEM. :) hope this helps. oh and the sr60 sounds good to me. try before you buy!

Thanks for the replies!

icic, guess I just need to try them on then I can say if I wanna get it or not. hehe. Btw, what about 'burning in' ? What does that mean?

Guest joi-ful

I had a brief fling with the grado sr60 at Stereo the other day...some first impressions:

It was OUCH! for me when I first tried the grados' (literally as well). I was listening to some vocals on my Zen micro and later on my Shuffle. The sr60 seems to be a very aggressive pair of phones. Mids and highs seemed a little overemphasized and presence of sibilance was palpable.

Coming from earphones like the cresyn e630 n sony ex51, my experience with the grados was very different. They were like 10x BRIGHTER sounding compared to my old phones and I was really not used to listening to such music. Also, I've read comments abt the sr60 having very smooth and silky mids and I expected quite a bit of that as well. But sadly, I found it to be somewhat like sparkling than silky and I probably ended up being a little biased...

Just take my comments with a pinch of salt... (still a newbie here) Do try em out yourself to really know the difference

PS: Give us ur take on them after you've tried em. I'm interested in getting new headphones as well despite being v satisfied with my recently bought UM1. IEM makes the music sound 'in ur head'...while I love what they've to offer, I'd like to experience listening to headphones (not IEM) to get the feeling of listening to speakers (and getting a wider n bigger soundstage)

Thanks for the replies!

icic, guess I just need to try them on then I can say if I wanna get it or not. hehe. Btw, what about 'burning in' ? What does that mean?

Most drivers used on headphones require some burning in (playing the music for a looong period of time) before they are able to show their true potential. Ok, this is sounding a lil' too layman and brief now..I think there's an article on this at the article/review section which you can check up to get more info.

:dance:

Edited by joi-ful

that;s because the EX51 has seriously boomy mid bass and terribly rolled off highs. I threw mine away sometimes back.

If you think SR60 with comfies are bright, I think you have been accustomed to the rolled off highs.

Edited by Username

Guest joi-ful

Yea, I think that's the problem. Which is why I'm unable to appreciate it as of now. Right now, the UM1 i'm using allows me to discover the mids n highs which i've never experienced before. I even got a whole new understanding of what bass should somewhat be like. It used to go *BOOM BOOM BOOM* for the ex51, with UM1 I can more or like feel the vibration resonating in my head. Really cool.

And thing is, there has been comments by many users on the UM1 having serious treble roll off. LOL. Perhaps after a period of listening with UM1, I might be able to appreciate better cans. (no intentions of amping or venturing into the high end stuff though... I just wanna achieve the best sound i can from my portable at an affordable price) =D

PS: okok, b4 anyone start flaming me, I know there's no such BEST sound in the world. I mean BEST sound for MY EARS... ok?? haha

as a um1 user, i find that sometimes the bass is so strong that it covers the treble abit. making the song abit muffled sounding. i like the warm sounding um1 tho... oh well... its personal preference at the end of the day. the sr60's are fine to me... but i already got the ms2 so there's no turning back. hahaha.... try the grados vs alessandros.... you might end up with a ms1.

I don't like the SR60/80 too. Too bright and uncouth. Even the MS2 is too bright I find. 15 mins is the longest it can stay on my head despite I like its smooth sound.

No one will flame you la. Its all preference. Maybe only the fabboys will. :lol:

Edited by afbug

Yes they are very bright to ppl who only listen to bloomy phones previously.. It is until you started to apprieciate better sound quality, the better mids and high and the aggresiveness of the grado.

This thread should be interesting to newbies. A well reviewed or popular item isn't always the case with all consumers. These varied opinions reiterate the need for a personal audition before deciding on any purchase. Personally, I also find my own SR80 slightly bright but I got it for its speed and clean sound which presents rock genre very well.

Edited by Mackie

Hi there,

I want to share my opinion on Grado SR60 as the owner of it...

Yes... Grado headphones are aggresive... but IMO they are a kind of headphones that will tell you the truth about your system chain behind it.

If you have good source and amplification you will admire how good Grado is.... Mine is fully broken in... I use it with a cd player (cheap chinnese DVD player or main Meracus Tanto CD player) + amplifier (my own Tangensoft's PINT version with LF353 output Opamp + OPA2604 for virtual ground)...

I can tell that it sound a bliss... no harsh at all... it does not have the resolving power of my Dynaudio home speaker (with LM3875 gainclone amp)... but the music is there...

I tried my Grado on my friend IPod video (30Gig) and it sound good too (though is nowhere sound as good as from my home system)... no harsh at all...

The higher Grado model, the more resolving it is... I once heard SR225... and you know what... It makes me want to get it...

so if the Grado sounds bad... that could be:

- not broken in, or

- the source (the player or the song file, if it is MP3) is not good enough, or

- the amplification is not good enough, especially since Grado phones is low impedance but with very high sensitivity... easily produce hiss...

OR...

you just don't like how it sounds...

If you are a Sennheisser sound fans... then most likely you will not like Grado... and vice versa... (for me I perefer Grado over Senn sound)...

I think AKG sounds in between of Grado and Senns..

Just my opinion...

---

David

(the passive member of this forum...:-))