Sign in to follow this  
ericssan

Using Big headphones in public transport

hi all

I'm getting crazy and bolder.

I have sold away my UM2, to make way for bigger phones like AT-W1000 or Grado 325i to be used on the go. I am getting DIY RA1 headphone amp. Think I am getting mad :no:

Anyone as crazy as me? I am getting how people will respond when they see a walking Gundam in MRT cabin. :gradoRS:

u will probably drop the grado off the head before anyone sees u. its heavy and any movement might drop it off your head.

Yes you're a little mad. :DD

Seriously, I've seen many people with grados using it on the go. I don't think that's a problem there.

My concern for you is that you have bought headphones which can scratch easily. Most ppl with grados on the go buy the lower end, plastic ones.

the 325i's metal enclosure might scratch.

Don't even think of bringing your W1000 out. The wood scratches easily. I'm still grieving over the scratch on my w1k, and I didn't even take it out.

using open headphones on public transport will make you deaf very quickly

Yeah, you have to turn the volume waaaay up when the MRT enters the tunnel :P

Though the volume may seem the same to you, the amount of sound blasting into your eardrums is a whole lot more. Plus open headphones leak sound like crazy. ^_^

Edited by scanfiend

If it's any consolation, I wear my DT770Pro outdoors. Grado looks small and less absurb comparatively. Actually it really doesn't matter how big the can you are wearing, it's your music and the others can only envy?

Plus open headphones leak sound like crazy. ^_^

Most don't really care, look at the example where people listen at full-blaster with earbuds.

I once tried my HQ-1700 on the train. Quit after once, too soft underneath the loud train noises.

Plus open headphones leak sound like crazy. ^_^

Most don't really care, look at the example where people listen at full-blaster with earbuds.

I once tried my HQ-1700 on the train. Quit after once, too soft underneath the loud train noises.

Yeah, I worry about their hearing sometimes.....not to mention it's damn irritating :bash:

Can you imagine the volume when you can hear their music from 5 feet away? From ear-buds that are probably pushed beyond their design limits, judging from the distortion I can hear :P

...EVEN on the air-conditioned train.

That's one factor why most Singaporeans avoid big headphones (besides aesthetic and cost factors).

Seriously, if a person with open earphones sit beside me, i'd tell him/her politely to turn it down or buy a closed pair. It's bloody irritating. Well, then again, i use my e4c all the time now. So i've no problems with crying babies, open headphones, cell phone rings, talkative aunties etc... The bliss of iems.

This thread just come to me in time.

I was on my Super.Fi when i embarked the train from Dover today

Just so happened there were 3 girls from the school for the listening disabled stood by the door.

They gave me a expression with their brighten eyes. I supposed they thought i had hearing aid on my ears or something.

Then they each gave me a friendly smile and started communicating to each other in their hand signs which i don't understand. What an awkward situation i got there. -_-

Anyway, I used to put on headphones on the MRT from my secondary school days. I even used the HD500 (open) on the train. I had one funny encouter where i sat in between these 2 twin boys, 1 on each side. They climbed up onto the seats, lean against my cans to have a share of what i was listening to. :whistle:

My next few cans were closed. Personally, i find headphones are not comfortable for travel, especially if you got things to carry and next moment your phone rings etc. I will prefer the IEM in public transport.

I bet people will try to use my ES-7 as mirrors when im on the train.

I was ever a culprit for doing that. What to do? Was on a date and i didn't carry mirrors. Thanks to headphone fans and i got myself tidied-up. :))

Edited by zonalblitz_audio