Sign in to follow this  
variablefeedback

Recommend me a non-IEM headphone

Just got the Creative Vision:M.

The stock creative earphone circumference is too big to fit into my wife's ears.

I had heard and like Sennheiser CX200 IEM, so I will be getting Creative EP-630 IEM for myself since a lot of you guys think sonically they are the same.

So, for my missus, I need them to be in a smaller profile and I will be looking into the same sonic signature as Sennheiser CX200, but not the price.

Any can help?

Kum sia.

Guest joi-ful

U've basically answered your own question. Just get the Creative EP630.

Unless you mean... they're not small enough for you wife?? o.O

The Sennheiser MX400 is good, cheap and comfortable :) But for earphones, I would highly recommend the Sony MDR888 for its sound quality ;)

The Sennheiser CX200 is using a different driver from Creative EP-630, even though they look the same. You might want to audition the EP-630 and see whether it suits you :)

Thanks newbie123.

Sony MDR888 sounds good, so is SENN MX400, as long as they are not as big as those supplied with VISION:M.

Where can I find SONY MDR-888 and how much it costs?

How much is the SENN MX400?

My missus is an audio dummy, but I am not.

For my case, I want to get the SENN CX200 becos it matches my taste and my W800i very well, and it can play veyr loudly without much distortion.

I am using the stock IEM from my W800i now, even when riding on my bike. SHIOK!

So, I gave my VISION:M to my missus.

Review:

[The following review applies to the Sennheiser MX 400 and MX 500 and the AKG K12p and K14P.]

If you like earbuds, but are looking for better ones than those that came with your iPod, there aren't many choices -- after all, Apple's earbuds are better than most, and earbuds can only do so much. That being said, we've long been fans of Sennheiser's $15 MX 400 and $20 MX 500, and we've recently found two new favorites that we can recommend, as well: AKG's $20 K12P and $26 K14P.

In many ways the AKG and Sennheiser offerings are very similar: Both companies offer a standard model (MX 400 and K12P) and a model with an inline volume control that is otherwise identical (MX 500 and K14P). All four models come with a plastic, wind-up carrying case and foam earpads.

In terms of sound quality, when compared to the iPod's stock earbuds, all four also provide better overall sound with improved bass response. However, the Sennheiser 'buds also give you better midrange, whereas the AKG models add noticeably better treble response.

Granted, given that these are still earbuds, we're not talking huge differences. But if you're in the market to upgrade, the Sennheiser and AKG 'buds are all highly recommended. If you like detail, go for the AKGs; otherwise, choose the Sennheisers.

[Note: All four models are also slightly smaller than Apple's earbuds; if you find the stock earbuds to be too big for your ears, you might be happier with these models.]

—Dan Frakes

Exactly what she needs! Thanks newbie!

just bought the SONY MDR-888LP from Mustafa, S$64 (is it too expensive???). They still have 2 pieces left there.

The sound is really special ... very rich sounding on the Creative Vision:M.

Dont have a lot of slam in the bass but the mid to upper registers are very smooth indeed.

The MX400 is S$25 there as well, felt like buying that too ... but I need a IEM for my Sony W800i.

Thanks Newbie123 for the recommendation. It was big but it fit more like a ear mould than ear buds.

It was so so so much better then the Cresyn E630 and the Sony 71.

Only down side is that it is an open can, so I can heard a lot of ambient noise .... took me about 1 hrs to run it in ... initially sounds like crap.

just bought the SONY MDR-888LP from Mustafa, S$64 (is it too expensive???). They still have 2 pieces left there.

Dont have a lot of slam in the bass but the mid to upper registers are very smooth indeed.

The MX400 is S$25 there as well, felt like buying that too ... but I need a IEM for my Sony W800i.

Thanks Newbie123 for the recommendation. It was big but it fit more like a ear mould than ear buds.

Only down side is that it is an open can, so I can heard a lot of ambient noise .... took me about 1 hrs to run it in ... initially sounds like crap.

Do you want to improve them? Requires some modification but its easy.

Checked "asiasound" or "soundasia" at adelphi today but they ran out of the K14P. So had to buy the senn MX500 instead from challenger funan.

Its a pity! That is why I told you its a under rated earphone, esp in SG. If only you've heard them.....you'd dump your MX! :P

Don't lah dude... but they were kind enough to ask me try sim lim... but it's out of the way for me... the MX500 sounds okay to me... maybe it's time i burn them in... how many hours should that take?

Edited by palestofwhite

sure, let me know of any mod I can perform on the sony 888.

Am listening to it now .... really revealing and yet very smooth ... very impressed. Not bright but very clear and revealing. Superb.

I think they are like speakers ... they tend to sound better at certain volume.

THe bass is its major weakness.

I cant really tuned it in ... very strange earphone.

I felt like I can feel the bass in my ears, but it really doesnt go very loud/low and tight.

As i said, I like to hear bass slam, rather than lotsa bass.

The mid is its strongest point, almost monitor like ... very revealing.

The high is very sweet and smooth.

Too bad, they are my missus' now.

Edited by variablefeedback

Hi, glab you like the 888 :) So far non of the IEM I tried gave me the same feeling I got from the 888s. Now using the ATH-CM5 which sound somewhat similiar but not as comfortable as the 888. Now waiting for the Ety ER-4P to arrive and hopefully it will be as good as the 888 :)

where to buy K12P then?

Do you want to improve them? Requires some modification but its easy.

Checked "asiasound" or "soundasia" at adelphi today but they ran out of the K14P. So had to buy the senn MX500 instead from challenger funan.

Its a pity! That is why I told you its a under rated earphone, esp in SG. If only you've heard them.....you'd dump your MX! :P

sure, let me know of any mod I can perform on the sony 888.

Am listening to it now .... really revealing and yet very smooth ... very impressed. Not bright but very clear and revealing. Superb.

I think they are like speakers ... they tend to sound better at certain volume.

THe bass is its major weakness.

I cant really tuned it in ... very strange earphone.

I felt like I can feel the bass in my ears, but it really doesnt go very loud/low and tight.

As i said, I like to hear bass slam, rather than lotsa bass.

The mid is its strongest point, almost monitor like ... very revealing.

The high is very sweet and smooth.

Too bad, they are my missus' now.

The E888 need a longer buring in period. It should be better after approx 100 hrs. But still, its not going to give you a lot of bass even though it has stronger bass than other earbuds.

Anyway, you can try this after your pair had burn in. I suggest buring in for at least 50hrs first before attempting this mod so you can try to notice the difference between a normal pair and a modded pair. You should prefer the modded version. Greater bass slam.

Note: Please observe the orientation of the rubber ring when removing them. You'll want to put them back in the same position.

Sony MDR-E888 mod

Method 1 by Head-fi's redshifter:

1. take your e888 earbuds and remove the foamies.

2. remove the rubber ring around the earbuds.

3. remove the metal grills off the drivers.

4. if there is a paper filter over the drivers, remove that too.

5. the metal drivers will be exposed. put the foamies back on.

6. enjoy!

you should be hearing lots of bass, no shrillness and all that great e888 detail and midrange.

________________________________________________________________________________

I prefer this:

1. take your e888 earbuds and remove the foamies.

2. remove the rubber ring around the earbuds.

3. remove the metal grills off the drivers.

4. if there is a paper filter over the drivers, remove that too.

5. I do not want the metal drivers to be exposed to dirt, so i replaced the metal grills.

6. fit the rubber ring back to hold them together.

7. put a pair of modded foamies back on.

8. enjoy!

Effect is almost the same as the first mod.

________________________________________________________________________________

Mod the foam ear pads:

1. Use a paper hole puncher or similar; penknife with suitable diamater stencile also can. (about 6mm diameter)

2. Punch a hole in the center of the foam pads, so you will have 2 holes instead of 1.

3. Slip the foamies onto your earphone like a regular one.

4. The 6mm hole should expose the grill/drivers.

5. Enjoy!

The exposed grill/driver should open up more treble and clarity. The modded foamies will still retain most of the bass. You can use this foamies mod for your other earphones too.

To all E888 users:

If you mod them, I am not responsible for any damages to your E888 hor!

1. My E888, with only the paper filter removed.

IPB Image

2. The E888 opened up. Paper filter removed. You can see my foam pad have 2 holes.

IPB Image

3. The metal grills back in its position.

IPB Image

4. The original mod. Metal grill and paper ring removed.

IPB Image

Edited by afbug